1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyatt workers launch weeklong strike in Chicago, other cities

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd hate to be staying at one of these hotels. They've had one day walkouts, but a week will be a disaster for guests.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If the Hyatt owners are willing to push their workers into a one-week strike, it shows that the Hyatt owners do not care about their guests.

3. YankeeFan

Damn Hyatt owners. Who owns them anyway, the evil Koch brothers or some other vile Republicans?

4. YankeeFan

Most folks here are pro union and have stated they would not cross a picket line to work as a scab.

Question:

Where do you draw the line in a situation like this?

Do you stay somewhere else if you were booked in one of these hotels this week? What if you were attending a conference? How about if you were planning on attending a wedding reception there this weekend? Or, if it was your wedding reception?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Easy question for me, I would never cross but I understand why people that are anti union would.

If you truly are pro-union you should never even think about crossing.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What is it that's so awful and untenable about the contract that Hyatt can't accept it when all of its competitors have?

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I was booked to stay at the Crowne Plaza in NYC by LaGuardia a few years ago and had no idea the hotel was on strike until the taxi pulled up and I saw the giant rat that the pickets had erected.

I have been on both sides of the unions as a former Teamster shop Steward and as management but I tend to not cross picket lines whenever possible. I did think the giant rat was very creative.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I would never cross a picket line.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Whoever owns them has shown they do not care about their guests, as they have pushed the service workers into a strike.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What YF is winking at is that Hyatt is owned by the Pritzker family. Penny Pritzker, daughter of Hyatt's founder, is the Obama campaign's national finance chair. (Her piece of the Hyatt, for what it's worth, is not the hotels -- it's the retirement home division.)

The manager at the Park Hyatt on the Magnificent Mile was particularly dickish to workers who staged a one-day walkout in front of the hotel, turning on the heat lights during a 90-plus degree day:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-07-28/business/chi-union-files-nlrb-complaint-against-hyatt-for-heat-lamp-assault-20110728_1_hyatt-paid-hyatt-corp-park-hyatt

11. TheSportsPredictor

The Pritzker family has shown it does not care about its guests as it has driven its workers to strike.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Two years without a contract? Clearly one side isn't even trying.

Draft saved Draft deleted