1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hyatt vs. marriott

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, May 26, 2011.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm about to redeem some citicard thank you points for gift cards to either hyatt or marriott. have no clue where to go but wanted some opinions on which is the better hotel in general.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What city are you headed for? Each city's hotels are a little different. If it were Chicago I'd take Hyatt in an instant. I love both hotel chains, but Hyatt Regency Chicago has a lot more to offer than Chicago Downtown Marriott...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like both...

I love the Courtyard by Marriott. It's not as fancy and they have free breakfast.

I like fancy hotels, but it always pisses me off when I have to open the honor bar if I'm going to drink a soda.

4. txsportsscribe

i haven't decided where to go. just found out about these reward points and i have enough points for about $600 in gift cards to either hotel. i've always been a hampton suites person and it's been years since i stayed at either of the choices i have.

5. txsportsscribe

fancy isn't as important as a really good, comfy bed (i use a temperpedic at home) free breakfast is a good thing.

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Hilton is the best chain for quality rooms and lots of locations. Marriott is a close second. I travel for business four days a week and I don't even have a Hyatt rewards number because I find them to less convenient and not as nice. Go with the Marriott.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Marriott.

I built up Marriott points for years but my new employer has a marketing deal with InterContinental Group, which means we're required to stay in Holiday Inns, Crowne Plazas, etc. Perfectly good properties, but it's taking some serious de-programming to get the Marriott-points whore out of me.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OK, then I'd say Marriott has more choices that are good. Towne Place Suites and Spring Hill Suites are very good locations, especially if you're going to be there for more than a night. The Marriott hotels themselves are good, but I find their other brands offer great rooms for a fraction of the cost.

For Hyatt, their main hotels are good (I'm biased a bit in Chicago because I love the Hyatt Regency downtown), but the Hyatt Place chain offers fantastic rooms.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're thinking Fairfield. Courtyards don't have free breakfast.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are not fancy, but the Candlewood Suites seem to give the best bang for your buck. Especially if it was recently built.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'll second that. Stayed at a Candlewood on business in 2003 (Hotwire rate, so it was super cheap)... and that room was damn good!

12. dieditor

dieditor Member

Agreed on Marriott -- I won't stay anywhere else if I can help it. I'm an affirmed Marriott points whore and it has come in handy when getting ready for vacations. Just remember to go to their website and sign up for the Megabonus promotions so you can earn free nights.

Draft saved Draft deleted