1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huzzah, World War I finally ends

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Germany made its final reparations payment to England on Sunday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/8029948/First-World-War-officially-ends.html

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In the spirit of friendship and economic cooperation and European Unification, England should have forgiven the debt.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Lick mein balls, England. We're paid up!

[​IMG]

No really. Lick mein balls. I liked that.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Hey, we just got the final payment on WWII's Lend-Lease less than four years ago, so better late than never.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For some reason, hearing about this, I'm thinking of that Simpsons episode where the kids are running out of the school on the last day, and the history teacher yells, "Wait, I haven't finished our lesson on World War II!"

Kids stop running out, then teacher yells out, "WE WON!" as the kids chant "USA!"

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Too bad Germany will be getting calls from bill collectors for the next four years anyway.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can think of millions who wish England had forgiven that debt oh, before 1937 or so...

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

reading about this, one can see the brilliance and foresight of John Maynard Keynes, who resigned as the English Treasury Secretary in protest of the excessive reparations imposed on Germany.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Smart man. It's also the reason why we ridiculously overdid it when we helped rebuild Japan.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have made a bit of difference. Now, if they'd done so in 1927, maybe Germany doesn't turn to Hitler in the wake of the Great Depression, and maybe the past 80 years turns out radically different. But by 1937, it was already too late.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No single event in the 20th century had more lasting impact than World War I.

It is absolutely insane how much it meant, even now. More interesting was that it was essentially a family squabble since all the ruling families in Europe were essentially Queen Victoria's kids and grandkids, along with the little fact that she was German.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Once he got into power, Hitler knew his options were limited. The only way he could pay off the debt was to steal the identities of Poland, Czechoslovakia, France and Norway.
    The whole North African invasion? He was just pissed off that some Nigerian prince sent him a fishy telegram and bilked him out of millions. He was working his way down there when those damned Limeys got involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted