1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hutchinson News (Kan.) - Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kingcreole, Mar 20, 2008.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

This is not a bad little paper at all, which does great with its resources and is a good place for youngsters to start out. What amazed me was the geographic reach of the paper, going about as far west and south as Kansas could go.

king, the one time I drove through Yoder with Mr. Cougar, one of the best sights I saw in Kansas was a group of Amish children playing baseball on a Sunday afternoon. I never did get to try a pie from Yoder, though. The Amish know their baked goods.

2. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

"If you call Hutch Western Kansas though, people will laugh at you."

They won't if they're from Eastern Kansas. :)

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wait ... you went to Yoder but didn't get a slice of pie?? Cougarguy owes you a return trip!

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I lived a good portion of my life in eastern Kansas, and Hutch sure as shit ain't western Kansas. But you can see western Kansas from there. ;D

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

People in Johnson County think Manhattan is Western Kansas. "Salina — isn't that on the Kansas-Colorado border?"

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Manhattan? Shit, I grew up in Johnson County and I thought anything West of Lawrence was western Kansas.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I don't care what those rich snobs from Johnson County say, Salina is the last bastion of civilization before the vast wasteland that is western Kansas. Colby, the "Oasis on the Plains," is western Kansas. Never been happier to see an Arby's in my life.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

By the way, creole, dem's jokes about snobs from JoCo. :)

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. The bakery there is simply something else.

10. billikens

billikens Member

Amen brother. Heck, I worked for three years in Central Kansas and now that I'm back in Johnson County, I've been guilty of referring to that area as Western Kansas more than once.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

People think that anything west of Hutch is Colorado.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I know. :)

When I went to juco at Allen County, I was the only player on the team from Johnson County. My teammates wanted to know if:

1. We had a robot maid.
    2. The the Pontiac I drove was my "other" car.
    3. I went to high school in a limo.

Draft saved Draft deleted