1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hutchinson News (Kan.) - Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kingcreole, Mar 20, 2008.

1. I hear they have a pretty quality golf course there as well.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Lots of great golf around. Cottonwood Hills is a Nick Faldo course and is less than a year old. Sand Creek Station in Newton is about a 30 minute drive. Hesston, McPherson, Pretty Prairie all are within a 30 minute drive and have great courses.

3. I was thinking of this one: http://www.prairiedunes.com/

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Doug's a heck of a nice guy. Africa doesn't surprise me, because he does a lot of missionary work.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I was thinking for the journalists of the world who are not fortunate enough to afford a membership to Hutchinson's Bushwood Country Club. ;)

Prairie Dunes, of course, is a one of a kind.

6. bcay

bcay New Member

Hutch is a great place to work. I was at The Hutch News for more than 20 years before coming back to Florida. The NJCAA tournament is awesome as are the people of Kansas.

7. It says something in the ad about May 2008 journalism grads encouraged to apply. How serious are they about recent/future grads?? I graduate from Illinois State in May.

I already applied, though ...

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The Cosmosphere fucking rocks. If you're a space nut, it's worth the trip. It's a world class space museum.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

are you a fucking stud?

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Even if you're not a space nut, it's a world-class museum. You can easily spend a day there, and that's just doing the museum and not taking in a show.

Heard good things about that underground salt museum, and if you want to a fine steak with the best onion rings you'll ever eat, the airport steakhouse is pretty darn good.

11. AGruen

AGruen New Member

I am a future grad who applied to it as well. I think most places aren't all that serious, but who knows? Wish you luck on getting a job.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I guess I meant if you're a space nut, it's worth the trip from anywhere. If you're in-state, it's worth the trip no matter your feelings about space. They have one of every kind of US space capsule until the space shuttle — Apollo 13, one of the Gemini craft, and Gus Grissom's Mercury craft. From a space standpoint alone, it packs ever bit the punch the Smithsonian does and is laid out in a way more interesting manner.

The Salt museum is cool ... novel for sure, but I wouldn't go all the way to "fucking awesome" in describing it. I — gasp — never hit up the airport steakhouse.

You can always go to Yoder if you feel like being taken advantage of by a bunch of people who dress like it's 1880. Religious beliefs? Ha — those people ride their money-packed horse-drawn carriages to the bank every day laughing their asses off. They'd lose a fortune if they started driving cars and watching TV like everyone else. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I grew up between Wichita and Hutch. Don't know a whole bunch about the Hutch paper, but a little. They have a guy who regularly hits up and occasionally travels with K-State and KU, and they cover a TON of preps territory. I think they consider themselves the paper of record for all of Western Kansas. If you call Hutch Western Kansas though, people will laugh at you.

Draft saved Draft deleted