1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hutchinson News (Kan.) - Sports Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kingcreole, Mar 20, 2008.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=895461

Not a bad place to live. Hutch is a good city and a short drive to Wichita. Great prep scene in the city, county and area. To the best of my knowledge, the Hutchinson High School beat writer - Doug Hanna - is leaving.

2. Second the emotions about Hutch. This is a nice spot for a young guy looking to move up.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

As I type this, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Hutchinson. I didn't even know about the job...I'm here for the Juco tournament.

The paper looks pretty decent...and they cover the hell outta this tournament. They've done a phenomenal job with it, in fact.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've also heard good things about "the hutch."

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Where's Hanna going?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

montana.

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Solid. Damn solid.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This is a great place. SE Gene Schinzel and ASE Brad Hallier are great guys to work for -- and no one's got Gene's work ethic, the man is dedicated. The Juco tournament is something unique to the job, an event that the Hutch News makes sure to showcase.

Covering Hutch isn't a bad gig. Some good people at the high school, even if they spell "Salthawks" when it ought to be "Salt Hawks" -- doing it their way leads to bad breaks in the paper, like "Sal-thawks." But the folks at the Hutch News and the people you deal with are good people. It's also less than 40 minutes to Wichita, which has a lot to do.

This job is a good situation, for sure.

9. Africa.

Note the lack of blue text. I've never actually met Doug, but I've read what he's written and he's damn talented.

Also, good things about Hutch. The city isn't half bad, it's less than an hour from Wichita and the paper does an excellent job at blanketing the area.

10. astleford

astleford New Member

I'll always be thankful to Gene and a few others for giving me my first shot. I would recommend the place to anyone...

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll echo everything everyone else said about Hutch. It's a great little town and a solid paper. The JUCO sports are great with some top-notch talent.

When I was a student at HCC all eleven starters on defense signed Division I. A handful were starters in the Big 12 and Sean Hill of the 49ers was the quarterback. They finished third in Jayhawk Conference, so the football is pretty good. Hutch High is high school powerhouse by Kansas standards.

12. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Doug Hanna is good people. We crossed paths at state wrestling and a few other events. Great guy, so if you read any of this, best of luck to you Doug!
    Also, for those interested in the opening, I went to college with the ASE, Brad Hallier. He's a great guy who you'll enjoy working with. They do quality work there, and Hutch has a passionate fan base.

Draft saved Draft deleted