1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricanes and global warming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Global warming is about the only excuse Donna Shalala didn't make when defending her university.

Oh wait, wrong Hurricanes. My bad.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

El Nino.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I thought that piece was poor.

On top of that, it was written after the center nailed the Wilma path and power.

4. You bring up a good point. To compare, about two or three years ago, we had bizarre shark attacks up and down the East and Gulf coast. At that time, I remember reading where Global Warming may have been behind the increase in shark attacks and that there was little doubt the increase would continue.

Don't know about you guys, but I haven't heard of other shark attacks since then? Does anyone know if the attacks increased?

If you saw Al Gore's ducumentary on Global Warming, he makes some fantastic points and actually gives some decent solutions, something politicians fail to do on most occasions. Don't know how much stock I put in the argument as a whole, but these were good points.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the most interesting article that I read on topic in National Georgraphic.

Many who have looked for the correlation have decided that we are just in a cycle that has nothing to do with human behavior.

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0508/feature4/

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Amen, leo.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Leo.... what is your situation in base terms, if you care to share?

Bad insurance deal... or snail's-paced contracting?

8. JackS

JackS Member

Good link, Boom. Not that I'm sold on that view either, but there is real reason to question the cause of global warming and as an offshoot, increased hurricane activity. The last chapter of McQuaid and Schleifstein's recent book also brought up William Gray and the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation. Interesting stuff.

Although that's not to say I'm blessing your Hummer ownership. :'(

Oh, and here's some friendly advice. Don't go to grist.org and try to have a rational discussion about whether or not human behavior is a major factor in climate. ::)

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Almost nine years now:

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The only Florida hurricane that ever passed over my house did so on Oct. 24 . . . a few weeks after you stop thinking about them.

For our readers, the 2005 World Series was just a rumor.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lots and lots of factors go into making a hurricane. Temperature is just one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted