1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane season's not over yet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

More seriously, Ida's a biscuit away from Cat 3 status. Jindal has already declared a state of emergency. It's a race to the coast between the cold front and the storm. If the cold front wins, Ida will decline dramatically.

WWL is still in Saints postgame coverage but I expect them to go into hurricane mode.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=WWL

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh goodie. I'm headed to Louisiana next Sunday. I hope everyone makes it through OK.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

you think you're pissed, how do you think Louisiana feels about the prospect of you heading there?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like it's going to bypass Louisiana entirely (except for maybe the tip of Grand Isle as it turns to the northeast). Right now it's headed straight for Gulf Shores, Ala., which means Pensacola/Fort Walton/Destin/Panama City, Fla., will be on the northeast quadrant and get the worst of it.

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm11/projectedpath_large.html

Those of us in south Mississippi should get buckets of rain all night and tomorrow morning and some 30 mph winds, but that's about it.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Glad we left Rucker when we did. This thing'd be right up our alley.

This will be the first time in my life -- other than the season I spent in Afghanistan -- that I haven't had to worry about hurricanes.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's weakening -- now just a tropical storm with 70 mph winds -- and it's becoming extratropical, which means by the time it gets to the coast, pretty much everyone's going to get crummy weather (whereas in a tropical storm, the most intense stuff is right near the center). So not a good Tuesday coming up for most people on the northern Gulf coast, but probably no hurricane conditions either.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Jim Cantore, Mike Seidel and Jeff Morrow are now in position along the Gulf Coast, so we can make it official: there's a hurra-cun out there. Anticipating some coastal flooding, some gusty winds, but that's about it. Raining and breezy outside Chez Albert right now.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Steph was on the beach yesterday. Yum.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Whenever she's covering a hurricane, there's an F-5 tornado in my pants1

1--by tornado I mean penis2
    [size=7pt]2--you see what I did there

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This is the weirdest tropical weather I've ever experienced. It's definitely a tropical storm moving in, but it's also chilly as hell outside, around 55ish.

And, yes, Stephanie Abrams can cover my weather pattern any time she wants.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

OK, so I was off by 11 miles. It actually made landfall in Bon Secour, on the other end of south Baldwin County.

Ida has been a bust for those of us in south Mississippi. Pretty steady drizzle all night and a little wind, but nothing more.

Wonder how south Georgia is holding up. Anyone know?

Draft saved Draft deleted