1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane season's not over yet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Presenting Ida.

[​IMG]

I know some people who'll be eyeballing this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Need a good coldfront to rush down from JR-ville and punch that momma in the mouth

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about the hockey team.

Then the response to the thread title would be, "Yes, it is". (Sorry Sam ;))

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Seems like an odd starting point for a potential hurricane.

5. Football_Bat

Late-season hurricanes usually form in the Caribbean. We're past the classic Cape Verde phase by now. Mitch was such a storm and killed 20K in Central America.

This storm won't be a hurricane when it gets to the Gulf, but I'm worried more about the rain. We had almost 10 inches here in October and we're just now beginning to dry out.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just seems odd that it would start out over land, or so close to it.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wilma was of a very similar track

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Of course, the way this fall has gone, it will arrive right on my doorstep next Friday.

9. Football_Bat

The latest models show something catching it and turning it hard right ... toward Chez Cowbell.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's already down to a tropical depression, and it may not make it out of Central America. But it could throw some much-needed rain at Florida in a few days (high wind shear will likely keep it from becoming a big deal even if it gets into the GOMEX)

11. Football_Bat

Right now it's still projected as a TS five days out, but more and more it looks like Cowbell's wish is coming true. Something's coming down and doing an Olajuwon on it late weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

From what I've seen, this is either coming to Cowbell's house or my house. All the extended forecasts I've seen call Tuesday night and Wednesday "breezy with rain." :-\ (There's also an infinitesimally small chance it could drop in on Dangerously.)

Most of the models have it bearing down on Florida's back side as a middling tropical storm.

Draft saved Draft deleted