1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane Matthew

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Hopefully Hugh Rodam's gold mine is still intact

old_tony likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've always thought that the one thing Haiti needed was a building code ...

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Give me snow for the winter and good public schools 51 weeks out of the year. I'll go island hopping each January.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I'm just concerned that the aid workers' dance clubs are safe.

Earthman likes this.
  5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Saw some things today that will break your heart. Much like Katrina, the southern side of the country is mostly destroyed. And it didn't take much to begin with. If you're wealthy, you get a block house. If not, you get a wood shack with a tin roof.

Roads and bridges washed out along the coast. Cell phone towers blown over. People with literally no clothes. It took me a few minutes to realize the other day when flying in from Jamaica what all the colors are. Everything in the countryside is covered in a bright patchwork of colors. It's clothes. They've stretched out close over fences, roofs, the beach, anything they can to dry them.

I landed today to drop off some USAID doctors in a community that has been cut off by washed out bridges in both directions. Widespread cholera, no food, no fresh water, no medicine, no doctors. The death toll, whatever it stands at now, will rise significantly. The US brings a ton of assets to this "fight," but it's a big machine, and takes a while to get rolling. We're delivering tons and tons of rice and water, but I've yet to see medical supplies loaded onto helicopters, which really frustrates me, as a medical evacuator.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Update: I spoke too soon on this. A couple thousand dollars are steadily washing from my bank account into the James River.

7. Big Circus

Yes, I realize how that looks compared to three bags' post. HUMOR ME, DAMMIT.

8. Earthman

Do you have cholera?

9. Big Circus

You never know!

10. Earthman

Have you seen Sean Penn yet?

Riptide likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Damn. All I can say is thanks for doing work that helps and matters.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

There seems to be a post missing.

Draft saved Draft deleted