1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 24, 2017.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Last night, some whacko I was arguing with claimed that Drew Griffin's rescue was faked

I showed him Snopes' debunking which should have put an end to it and he disregarded it because it was Snopes.

FACT CHECK: Did CNN Stage a Hurricane Harvey Rescue Video?

How did Snopes get this wrong and can somebody please tell me about CNN's track record for making stuff up, but I don't think they ever have.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Disregarding Snopes because it's Snopes is the new shouting "Fake news."

4. Anyone see 60 Minutes last night? Tremendous segment on Houston and Harvey, brought up a lot of points a few posters brought up here: city's ignoring flood control/management and allowing developers to build in flood zones, etc ...
    Not just Houston, but also Galveston ... But it was really insightful.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The various city governments wanted the property tax dollars, and I don't doubt that the real estate developers either made formal campaign donations or less formal pocket cash donations to influence the decision to allow the development. Add in that Houston's explosive growth has put land at a premium. Lots that no sane person would have built on in 1965 are now in the middle of a city that is 90 miles north to south by 60 east to west, and that makes the old "Location, location, location" thing kick in - which is fine until it floods.

Houston needs to get very serious about improving drainage, which I'm pretty certain is going to happen, even if it takes a decade and costs bales of money. The Federal flood insurance needs to get serious about taking possession of homes that they pay off on and are located in the "floods very often" zone. "Here's your $150k payout, but you have to buy a house elsewhere to get it, we're not going to keep paying to rebuild the same house over and over."

6. It'll be interesting to see what happens. The price tag for some the flood control issues, massive flood gate, and upgrading one flood control dam and building two others was tagged at $14 billion.
    As you noted, that doesn't include the buyouts of residents.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So what next? A great big jobs program to fix the nation's many infrastructure problems, right?

8. Neutral Corner

No, no... Tax reform is next! Surely the Republicans can agree on that. Huge tax cuts are the Republican Holy Writ.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

In contrast to Free Everything, For Everyone, For Life! (except you rich folks, who will pay for all of it)

10. Neutral Corner

I think that tax cuts to business and the lower class (to the extent that they pay taxes) and the middle class would be fine. I'm betting that the top end would continue to struggle along if they didn't get one, given their gains over the last decade or two. As opposed to Tax Cuts For Everyone, With An Emphasis On The Top End, and in addition to increased defense spending with no offsets.

I don't recall ever advocating free everything for life.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You all are going to get poor old Harvey locked.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Edit: There is a link to a written story. I don't click on sound or video, usually.

Draft saved Draft deleted