1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huntsville Times buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Jan 22, 2009.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=9705323

Buyouts in Huntsville. Will this stuff ever end?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Who owns this paper?

3. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I'm told by someone who works in the Rocket City that several longtime employees will leave with buyout checks in excess of $140,000, less a tax hit, and pretty decent insurance coverage. Says it's a generous "voluntary" buyout - if you're even close to retirement age, it's hard to turn down.

The guy I know is eligible for 18 months' salary. In an area that's bucked the national trend with a relatively low jobless rate, he's got a couple of gigs possible and is giving serious consideration to getting out with a large chunk of change.

Can't blame him for that.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Didn't they send McCarter to the Olympics? Bet they could have saved a few bucks there.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Indeed they did.

The H-Times also apparently had 5 or 6 employees in D.C. for the inauguration on the same day the buyouts were being announced back home, my source sez.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sounds as if that paper is printing money with its daily editions to send a writer to Japan and a group that size to D.C.

Someone must be making some fat checks. It probably isn't in the newsroom.

Any idea on the number they want to take the buyouts and how that will impact the writers?

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Beijing's in Japan now? Was there a trade? ;)

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

China. Japan. Thailand. Beijing is somewhere over there. They're all a long way from covering Nick Saban and the Cow College.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If all buyout plans were as humane-sounding as this one ... but that's not the case.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'm told Huntsville hired someone just recently. Nice timing.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Read the story. This wouldn't affect new hires at all.

Voluntary buyouts for employees over 60 with 5 years tenure or those of any age with at least 10.

That is, in point of fact, how you clear the books to make new hires.

Draft saved Draft deleted