1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huntsman Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Technically, LBJ was elected President in 1964 not re-elected since as the sitting VP in '62 he became President upon the death of Kennedy.

I didn't include LBJ in my earlier post because it's hard to be considered the 'heir apparent' when you are already the POTUS for two years when you're first elected in '64.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So you're saying you were even less correct? Either way, I agree with your general point.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Feingold has a hell of a lot of hurdles to overcome: voted out of the Senate in favor of a teabaggger, TWO divorces (aieee-aieee-FAMILY VALUES!!!) and in overall philosophy he makes Barack "The Radical Libburral Socilist Anarchist" Obama look like Herbert Hoover.

And if he (or anyone else of his "ilk") were to be nominated, we would find out very very quickly that the same bible-thumping screech brigade which goes berzerk over the alleged mooslim Obama and his supposedly inadequate support of Israel -- well guess what, they don't like JOOOOOOS very much either (just like they don't like Kattthlicks for that matter).

Feingold only becomes a viable candidate if we have a fairly dramatic seismic shift in the overall perception of "liberals vs. conservative."

IOW, if Faux Fascist Noise goes bankrupt and off the air.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Huntsman's exit does help Romney, but only marginally. You still have the three camps at war in the GOP: the establishment, the tea party, and the social conservatives.

If it plays out all the way to the end, you have a remotely possible recipe for a brokered convention. But that's only if the social conservatives finally decide on one of three standard-bearers, and do it well before Super Tuesday. If two keep soldiering on (I don't see Perry lasting beyond Florida), they'll keep stealing votes from each other and just keep diminishing in stature as Romney picks up steam.

I don't know the layout of the winner-take-all primaries, but since the majority of states aren't Southern, I'd have to think Romney will do well in those states and wrap it up mathematically not long after Easter.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The GOP adopted proportional voting for this go round. In part, because they wanted a drawn out process to maintain visibility through the Spring. They felt McCain wrapped it up too soon and was pretty much invisible, forced to do a "biography tour" hitting places that were important to his life like Pensacola, Fla. and other places he lived. He received a fraction of the attention of the Obama/Clinton battle to the death. At least Romney can start campaigning against Obama early. McCain could figure out who to run against and he couldn't run against the White House.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If Obama wins and Huntsman wants to run in 2016, what is he going to do for four years? He can't go back to government, because he'll be perceived as a short timer. He isn't exactly in the right demographic for the ESPN fired coach analyst seat at FNC.

He's a no name recognition guy who will have some sort of foreign policy role in the next GOP administration, at best.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Or Obama!

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

FWIW, only Paul and Romney made it onto the Virginia Primary ticket due to some poor planning and poor resources.

I have no idea if that was a factor in any of this, but it looks really bad if people are writing your name on a ticket.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, he did pretty well in the 2010 election didn't he?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Huntsman, but he's not running again.

If he had done as well as Romney did in 2008 (which wasn't that good...) maybe.

I don't see it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets a cabinet post if Romney wins... It's a big if...

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I will bet you my farm that Huntsman will run next time if Obama is re-elected. He is only 51 years old, and got himself a small amount of name recognition he didn't have with this attempt.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Easy. Just trade in his rolodex for a cushy job that he can spin in four years as experience as an "outsider" and a "job creator." Sit tight, make sure the checks clear and then in 2 years, if Obama is reelected, start planning your next run.

Draft saved Draft deleted