1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunt Fingers LBJ in Death of John F Kennedy? (new book)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

E. HOWARD Hunt - the shadowy former CIA man who organized the Watergate break-in and was once eyed in the assassination of President Kennedy - bizarrely says that Lyndon Johnson could be seen as a prime suspect in the rubout.

In a new memoir, "American Spy: My Secret History in the CIA, Watergate & Beyond," due out in April, Hunt, 88, wrote: "Having Kennedy liquidated, thus elevating himself to the presidency without having to work for it himself, could have been a very tempting and logical move on Johnson's part.

"LBJ had the money and the connections to manipulate the scenario in Dallas and is on record as having convinced JFK to make the appearance in the first place. He further tried unsuccessfully to engineer the passengers of each vehicle, trying to get his good buddy, Gov. [John] Connolly, to ride with him instead of in JFK's car - where . . . he would have been out of danger."

Hunt says Johnson also had easy access to CIA man William Harvey, who'd been demoted when he tried to have Fidel Castro poisoned in defiance of orders to drop covert operations against Cuba. Harvey was "a ruthless man who was not satisfied with his position in the CIA and its government salary," Hunt writes.

"He definitely had dreams of becoming [CIA director] and LBJ could do that for him if he were president . . . [LBJ] would have used Harvey because he was available and corrupt." Hunt denies any hand in the assassination, insisting he wasn't one of three mysterious hobos who were photographed at the scene.

On Watergate, Hunt says he saved G. Gordon Liddy from gagging on urine-tainted booze as they got ready to break into Democratic National Committee headquarters, telling him, "I know you like your scotch, but don't order it . . . Last night when we were hiding in the closet, I had to take a leak in the worst way, and when I couldn't bear it any longer, I found a fairly empty bottle of Johnnie Walker Red - and now let's just say it's quite full."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142007/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: 'Hobo' Hunt Fingers LBJ in Death of John F Kennedy? (new book)

I love this place.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

If you can't believe E Howard Hunt, who can you believe?

A gossip piece in the Post: Why not have schoolgirl Hil as triggerperson?

YHS, etc

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Odd that this should come out on the that Hunt died

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

For those of you too young to remember...

Howard Hunt was the CIA what Barney Fife was to police work. The guy was a screwup. He wrote bad spy books. The fact that the Nixon White House would use the guy is a tribute to loyalty over competence, a philosophy strictly adhered to by the current president.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bad spy books may be the understatement of the year. He made Ian Fleming look like Willaim Faulkner.

7. Anyway, amazon says the book's due in March of this year, so the d_b is not a d_b in that context.
    Yes, I believe a GOP dirty-tricks artists that a Democratic politician killed JFK. Why wouldn't I believe that?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Proud Nixon Alumni Association members:

[​IMG]

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Star, that's Rumsfeld on the rgith but I can't make out the other guy.
    Please help. It's driving me crazy.

Is that Dean without the glasses?

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

No, the other guy is Darth Vader himself.

11. Even if I could take Hunt seriously, I can't think about it right now. I'm having an episode trying to get the image of Hunt fingering LBJ out of my head.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Cheif, you're not painting a pretty picture with words...

Draft saved Draft deleted