1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hungry? Put down the f***ing Snickers! You'll die!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know what you're talking about. No, really, I don't.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

This thread title is how I plan on breaking the news to my son or daughter one day that they have a peanut allergy.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Look at the size of the chairs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The light blue chairs are all larger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

HA HA that is awesome. It must be a European company with a U.S. branch!

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

A lot of what he says makes a lot of sense. I was pointed in the Daily Apple's direction about a year ago, and my life has taken a healthy turn for the good, dropped a lot of weight and feel a lot better in many areas.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is NOT bad for me!

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

As history lessons go, that's right up there with Belushi lecturing about how the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

I don't want to dispute your idyllic fiction about days when the only sugar in the diet came from that homemade apple pie that Granny had cooling on the window ledge, but Hershey's Kisses came on the market in 1907 and the Milky Way bar debuted in 1923.

Coca Cola was developed before 1900 and Pepsi shortly thereafter. The deadly Hostess Twinkie first rolled off the line in 1930.

When weren't soft drinks marketed to the young? Whose attention do you think Coke was trying to grab when it spent money to have Top 40 hitmakers record its commercial jingles in the '60s?

Do you think Kool Aid was going after sophisticated Upper West Siders when it developed the pitcher with the big smile?

Did you know there were cereals with the names Sugar Pops, Sugar Crisp and Sugar Frosted Flakes before that became a taboo word? Honestly, there were vending machines then, too. If they weren't in schools, they were across the street at the gas station.

Is there more today? Of course there is, just because there's more of everything. Supermarkets are a block long. But sugar-laden products are nothing new. People used to be satisfied with seven ounces of soda. Now they routinely drink three times more than that -- and don't even walk to the store when they need a refill.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see. So there's nothing different about the food content (particularly high-fructose corn syrup). People just have weaker wills.

Got it. Forward your findings to those doctors.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Do you mean these doctors?

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/443/csaph3a08-summary.pdf

(Excerpt: <i>Because the composition of HFCS and sucrose are so similar, particularly on absorption by the body, it appears unlikely that HFCS contributes more to obesity or other conditions than sucrose).</i>

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Indeed, this is one of the more comically shameless turns in advertising history.

When high fructose corn syrup came on the scene in the late 70s it was being marketed as the more healthful alternative to sugar. "Not" being sugar was the whole pitch. But now that we've discovered that the stuff is every bit as toxic to the system as sugar we've got advertisers boasting of having real sugar, and the HFCS industry is now launching ad campaigns boasting about how their product is the exact "same" as sugar, when the entire original claimed purpose of the product was to be something different than sugar.

Bottom line: both sugar and HFCS are equally putrid products that only do harm, and no good, when ingested into the human body. We need more advertising campaigns informing that fact.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

There's not a dime's worth of difference between sugar from corn and cane sugar. Except maybe taste and for those who like the Mexican-made cokes, you can tell the difference.

I'm just really tired of these busybodies, like Michelle Obama, telling me what I can and can't eat. I have one mother. She's sufficient, really. If you sit on your couch all the time and eat fatty foods and sugary junk, you'll turn into a Prince Fielderesque tubby pile of goo. It ain't rocket science. I don't need a bunch of busybody do-gooders imposing their lifestyle upon myself and others. If we all paid, out of pocket, for our healthcare rather than shuffling some forms to an insurance company, we'd govern ourselves a lot better when you have to pay your own medical bills.

Get off your couch. Ride a bike. Shoot some hoops. Eat more fruits and veggies. Cut down on the carbs. Common sense, really. I lost 70 pounds from eliminating 90% of the sugar and fat from my diet. It can be done.

Draft saved Draft deleted