1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunger Games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Mar 30, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Ha! Fantastic!

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not really a meme.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Oh. Like Milhouse.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They had a picture of someone in EW wearing a shirt that said that a week or so ago...

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Well. Goddamnit. I thought I had a profound moment in my living room.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do you want me to sit here and explain to you how profundity works?

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I liked the movie, but I felt they didn't do enough at the beginning to make the reaping as emotional as it could have been for those who haven't read the books, and I don't think it would've taken but a few lines of dialogue between Katniss and Gale to establish it. When they were talking about how many times Gale had his name in, they needed a few lines there to 1) explain what the hell they were talking about (kids could trade another entry in the drawing for food for their families, which would also hammer home that these people were starving and willing to risk their lives to feed their loved ones) and 2) establish how dire the reaping was (just have Katniss say, "You're in 42 times, Gale?!?! You know it's a death sentence if your name gets drawn. Only two tributes from District 12 have ever won! The deck is stacked against us!) Total of two or three minutes of dialogue, and the scene with Prim's name being drawn carries MUCH more weight.

That said, that was my only gripe. I felt the movie was pretty damn good otherwise.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Prim, not Rue...but I feel ya.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It shows you have a creative and warped mind and that is a wonderful thing. :D

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

My bad. As I always tell my wife, go with what I mean, not what I say. :)

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

One other note, since I mentioned my wife. For years, my son and sister-in-law have tried to convince my wife to read the books. I told her they weren't Harry Potter, but I thought she'd like them. So after seeing the movie, she broke down and read them this past week.

Well, she hated them. Felt like they made her feel attached to these characters, then put them through horrible ordeals and there was no real payoff. Basically, she was ticked that they didn't get a happy ending. I argued that in reality, with what they went through, there wouldn't be a happy ending like Harry Potter. She didn't care.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What would YGBFKM say?

Draft saved Draft deleted