1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunger Games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

His wife is ultra-sensitive, and he can be ultra-insensitive, so there was that going there...

My wife is pretty cool about that stuff, but I don't make comments like that either.

When my wife and I first started dating, she asked me who my favorite actress was. This was about a decade ago and I answered truthfully and said "Reese Witherspoon." What I didn't know at the time was that my now-sister-in-law had an issue of Cosmo or one of those magazines that psychoanalyzed whoever your answer was depending on your age and a couple other factors.

Needless to say, my answer was a good one. I think some of the other "good" ones were Zellweger and Bullock and people like that. "Wrong" answers were Denise Richards, Pamela Anderson, Sharon Stone and actresses who were known for getting naked or being hot.

So if you're in your 40s as my neighbor is, commenting on how hot an actress may be when she's playing a teenager may not be a real smart thing to do. :D

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Hunger Games was a big trilogy for the household, 10 yr old, 12 yrd old and wife all devoured the three. Youngest got to go to a B day party showing last weekend.

Went Sat. night with my oldest and we both really enjoyed it. I thought they did a great job with leaving the killing to the implied rather than the expressed. What got me was how sad the opening and other parts were, just emotional killers.

Followed the book closely. The criticisms seem like nit-picking to me. Stanley Tucci and Elizabeth Banks are great. Jennifer Lawrence did a very nice job acting. (And I may have the same thoughts as Mizzou's neighbor, I'll never say anything like that out loud to my wife.)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the movie did a good job showing the tension between the people and the Capitol/government without having to spell it out.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm not sure I loved the casting of Peeta, but the actor did grow on me as the movie wore on.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Funny. That's what Mizzougrad's neighbor said about Jennifer Lawrence.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

[​IMG]

Hard to believe anyone would comment on her looks... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm actually shocked it took several posts before the "impact of Jennifer Lawrence on my wiener" comments started.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Mostly bite marks, for me.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Lawrence is also great in X-Men: First Class.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's Not the Katniss We Read About!!! (typical Hunger Games fanatic)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

TigerVols doesn't understand why somebody starring in "The Hunger Games" is so fat.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can't take this movie seriously. Every time I hear the title I think it's a documentary about the epic feud between Kobayashi and Joey Chestnut.

Draft saved Draft deleted