1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunger Games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Mar 30, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it, but no thread on the Hunger Games?

Read the book earlier this week and saw the movie last night. I was pretty pleased.

Looks like from the box office receipts, lots of people were pleased as well. Its opening weekend was the biggest ever for any new film that wasn't a sequel, and third all time, behind the second Batman and one of the Harry Potter films. I haven't checked the adjusted receipts on box office mojo but I suspect Hunger Games would still rank pretty high.

Weird mix of people at the theater, some soccer moms, their kids (not sitting with their moms) a hipster douchebag who hairsprayed then teased his hair up before walking into a darkened theater where no one would see his hair.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I haven't read the books, but my wife dragged me and I was surprised to find I enjoyed the movie very much. I usually conk out in movie theaters but this one had my attention from the word go. Smart and suspenseful and far less lazy than most popcorn flicks.

Way too dark, in my opinion, for teenagers, but if they are reading this and racing to see the movie adaptation instead of doing the same for that fucking awful Twilight shit, then it's fine by me.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Oh thank God. I thought Jay was offering to start a Hunger Games of his own.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

SportsJournalists.com IS a dystopia.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I would volunteer for Dick Whitman.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The movie thread has been talking Hunger Games...hence why no thread was started.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good article on Jennifer Lawrence in this week's Rolling Stone.

Apparently, she was one of the runnersups to play Lisbeth in the Dragon Tattoo movies.

I'm guessing she's pretty happy with what she ended up with.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Meh. Seems like the thing people go to see just because everyone is going to see it. I'll pass.

(Hence, why I passed on Lord of the Rings, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.)

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I hadn't read the books, had heard good things about the movie, saw it tonight with some friends, and I quite liked it. The concept had been described to me previously and I cannot figure out why this is carrying a Twighlight/teen flick stigma with it. I agree with BYH that it was far too dark to be just a teen movie. I liked it a lot, held me from beginning to end, although I thought it dragged a bit at the beginning.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wow. You are so anti-establishment. That's so cool.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nothing is more common than purposely trying to be different.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I saw it also and enjoyed it. The first book of the trilogy was solid, but "Mockingjay" is the equivalent of "Godfather III."

Draft saved Draft deleted