1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human trafficking in basketball

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help available' started by Natalie Pierre, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Natalie Pierre

Natalie Pierre New Member

I am currently working on a story about human trafficking in basketball, particularly with players from Africa. It is an extremely well-sourced story that provides many disturbing, but detailed, accounts of what many of these players have gone through after arriving in the U.S. My interviews include a high-profile college player, a veteran Power Five coach , a big-name trainer, and about a dozen others.

If you have any interest in me doing this story for you as a freelancer, I would love to tell you more about it. If you have any questions for me, please don’t hesitate to ask. You can reach me by email here at nataliepierre34@gmail.com.

agateguy likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Matthew Stanmyre and Steve Politi of NJ.com have been all over this, have won awards for their work on the topic. The link below is just one story from this summer. A visit to NJ.com yield many more.

My point in this: This is not a new subject and you don't have to give away your details here. But do you have material that hasn't been covered by NJ.com and others?

Homeland Security joins hoops probe with eye on international talent pipeline

3. Natalie Pierre

I am very aware of the coverage that NJ.com has done on the topic. What I have builds on some of what has previously been reported by NJ.com and others. I take a deeper look at the issue and talk to multiple people who are very involved in the process of bringing African players to the U.S.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds interesting then, I hope you get a taker and I look forward to reading it.

5. Natalie Pierre

Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted