1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huh, ain't that something ... Should newspapers abandon digital?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Oct 14, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but the sword swings both ways. The route taken by the major metros is not necessarily the route to be taken by the smaller outposts.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

We get, on average, 400-500 clicks per episode. Our best ones last spring got above 1,000. Most third-party host sites track "play clicks." So the general "nobody is clicking on high school podcasts" is an incorrect statement.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Read the article posted here. The person who wrote it said there is definitely a market for those who definitely prefer reading a newspaper to getting news online or any other way. Sorry folks, Fredrick is right here. He just is.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I don't think you guys read my posts. I agree it's too late now and it's all over. The bean counters sick of paying for newsprint got their way. Newspapers are dead; they'll be all online in probably 2 years max. What I'm saying is how we got here. People still want to read newspapers, but not the piece of shit rags put out today. Read the story posted in this thread. Many of her comments are Fredrick's EXACT positions on the matter. People noticed the decline in product. One thing about newspaper beancounters, editors: They not only have always devalued their own staffs (shit, I know editors who were convinced citizen journalists could do better than real journalists) but they've also taken readers for fools when they are not. Readers notice the cuts. Readers laugh at those articles that accompany the cuts, saying we did this for you the reader. LOL.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

PCLoadLetter understands that some people prefer the printed newspaper. PCLoadLetter also understands that both of those people are already beyond the average human life span.

Fredrick can pretend this is all because of editors who do not respect their writers, but Fredrick is willfully ignoring the true problem.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

How much revenue did those whopping 1,000 clicks bring in?

The overall point here is whether newspapers, as a whole, should continue to focus on digital. If we want to discuss the raging success of high school podcasts, it would be easy to start a thread titled "How Bumbleburg's cross country team got 400 people to click a link (for free) on our site this week," and all the burg editors could swap fish tales.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Daily/Sunday newspaper circulation peaked (in raw numbers) in the early 1990s, long before the Internet was a gleam in any greedy bean counter's eyes. As a percentage of U.S. households, circulation has been on a very long, and steady, decline since the 1950s.

http://media-cmi.com/downloads/Sixty_Years_Daily_Newspaper_Circulation_Trends_050611.pdf

Interesting that in that linked report there is this quote from a book written in 1964:

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When I started at my last newspaper job in 2005, our daily circulation was somewhere around 30,000. When I left last month, it was around 18,000.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, there is "a market," just not one that will support robust staffs that once produced great products.

There is "a market" for the clothing my wife makes . . . just not one that would support her going into business full time, buying a brick-and-mortar boutique and hiring a staff. So she has two online sites and attracts a handful of customers a year.

Same principle.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This, times two.

11. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

$75 an episode, since we get a sponsor for the podcast that we sell based on 400-500 clicks per episode.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Problem with working at a newspaper in Lima or Western PA is that it really doesn't matter if people are clicking. Reporters are making jack squat in places where people supposedly still want newspaper content. Anyone flocking to all those jobs in Ohio and Pennsylvania?

Draft saved Draft deleted