1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hugo Chavez: today's lesson in irony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Let's see...
    Iraq was an ally in the mid-80s
    Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11
    And the war has cost roughly $750 billion
    Then you have this nugget from the British press.
    [One of the delegates, Nabil Shaath, who was Palestinian foreign minister at the time, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."[/quote]
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1586978,00.html

To the best of my knowledge Chavez, who is both an idiot and a thug, is not claiming to be taking his marching orders from God. Bush is.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

So the British press is reporting a Palestinian dude badmouthing Bush.

Hell, you've got us there, Farrar. No reason to question the veracity of any of that.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Did Chavez do any of the things Bush is alleged to have done as posted above? We're not talking about stuff not mentioned here...we're only talking about Farrar's claims.

Get back to me after you figure it out.

None of that implies a backing or defense of Chavez.

If you take it to be so, then we're done because there's no getting through to you.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Is he badmouthing Bush or simply repeating what he said? There is a difference.

And he's not just some Palestinian dude. He was the Palestinian Foreign Minister.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm concerned by the sentiment that all liberals must like Chavez. Sure, maybe when he came into office he seemed promising, but clearly he's taken a turn for the worst. He's getting way too much advice from Castro, and his regime is becoming more and more authoritarian in their tightening of civil rights. So let's not confuse criticism of Bush with assenting to Chavez's policies.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Then your beef is with the legitimacy of the report. Why not say so initially, then?

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That's what I was conveying when I said "No reason to question the veracity of any of that."

The blue font is such a crutch these days . . . . . . .

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Alley, I seriously think you should move to Venezuela. That way, you'll be free from Bush. I think you'd fit in well there.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's like sitting at the Algonquin Round Table!

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Only the boards' resident assclowns promulgate the sentiment that "all liberals must like Chavez." I think the guy's completely off his rocker, and I agree with the Speaker of the House(http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/21/chavez.ny/index.html) that he's an "everyday thug." When the lights went out in a Copa America match a few weeks ago in Chavez' energy-rich country, I was pretty amused.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey rube, couldn't you have made that statement without the assclown remark?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To me it has the same feel as the monthly Mensa meeting I attend.

I just applied for a Citgo credit card. I am going to run up huge bill and not pay. On dunning notices that will follow I am going to write FU Chavez and send it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.