1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hugo Chavez: nut job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Sep 20, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I seriously doubt whether Chavez could say ANYTHING to rally anybody to either party. Something tells me we've become so polarized that the musings of a nutjob Venezuelan dictator won't amount to a hill of beans.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And I commend them right here and now for it. However, did you notice that the dems would only have reps from very safe districts make the comments? It'd be nice if they all came out and did the right thing, but doing the right thing would turn off too many Dem voters, and they can't afford that in the tight districts.

3. old_tony

So getting more votes/electoral votes is a bad/illegal thing?

4. old_tony

It couldn't have been said better.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Definitely yes/probably so.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Spare me. Every Democratic legislator nationwide isn't going to make a public pronouncement on Chavez for the exact same reason the White House and Bolton spent as little time as possible responding to it: Chavez is a showman relishing in the spotlight, and every condemnation (be it from Republican, Democrat, or whatever) only feeds his ego. A couple of high-ranking Democrats said all that was needed to be said. Now it's time for both parties to ignore the Chomsky-toting loudmouth and return to the time-honored tradition of slagging each other.

7. old_tony

You may be partly right, but then again, what better way to return to slagging each other than for Reps to slag the Dems for Chavez sounding so much like them.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've gone to a conservative Methodist church in the South for the last 12 years. The pastor has never once mentioned Bill Clinton in a sermon.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Okay, here's a question: Why do you care? Seriously. I'm dying to know.

Why does anyone care what Hugo Chavez has to say on anything? He holds know elected office in the US. He runs a country that we go to for oil, but outside of that, don't care about. So why should we care what he says?

So he called a person that something in the 60% of Americans know is an idiot the devil. Big deal.

On the list of topics and issues that Americans should be concerned, Hugo Chavez falls waaaaaaaay down the list.

10. JackS

JackS Member

Good post. Hugo Chavez...yawn.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Am I wrong or do we really want to be calling out or condemning ANYONE in church? Seriously. That kinda violates the whole forgiveness thing that God demands of us.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Anybody seen how the sales that book by Noam Chomsky (Pat Tillman's socialpolitical guru) have shot up in the past two days? If I ever get my novel published, screw Oprah -I want the imprimatur of the Hugo Chavez Book Club.

Draft saved Draft deleted