1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge shakeup at Newsday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newsdayer, Jul 27, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

My thoughts exactly. I think Ken Davidoff is outstanding and his column is very good, but the paper looks third-rate with the baseball notes as its Sunday centerpiece. If you're going to re-design the Sunday sports with Heyman's column as the Lupica-like centerpiece, then you better replace him when he leaves (smart man, leaving when he did). Maybe Wally Matthews gets that gig, but I'm skeptical.

The other notes columns have been getting briefer and briefer anyway. I think Hahn's NHL stuff was dotcom only for a while. (Of course nobody gives a shit about hockey :D )

The section is NOT big city caliber these days. It boggles the mind this is the same paper that lured Lupica away in 1993 or 1994. Some great people and writers working there and they're continually being undercut by the bean counters.

But that's Newsday in a nutshell. It'll always make money hand over fist and it'll always dominate the market because, guess what, there is no other daily serving the Island. They know the Island coverage in the Daily News and Post is nothing more than a cursory glance. And forget any start-up trying to take down the big giant.

So why be anything other than inadequate? No reason to be anything but.

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Excellent post. They used to consider themselves a writers' paper. Now it's a bean-counters' paper. [Thanks, Tribune Co.]

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. 8) 8) 8)

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The corrupt motherfuckers at Newsday screwed the entire Tribune company.

They're lucky they haven't been whacked even more.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Paper used to matter, serving a needed niche. Now? When you have to cheat for one-fifth of your circulation, that's not a good sign.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Still amazing to me that they had to fudge their circulation figures when they're basically the only game in town.

7. ny shakedown

ny shakedown New Member

Newsday used to be at every major sporting event. Here is the roll call this year:

NBA finals: wires
    NHL finals: wires
    World Cup: wires
    British Open: wires
    Wimbledon: wires

By contrast the Times and the Daily News have staffed each of these events this year. The Post has missed most.  The beancounters may be watching the Post too.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

the bean-counters are winning practically everywhere. :'( :'( :'(

9. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Please let a by product of this be the departure of Johnette Howard.  The worst columnist in the NY metro area by far.  How she's kept the gig this long is a mystery.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

No one messes with Otto.
    :D

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Otto Schmotto.

12. HatOnBed

HatOnBed New Member

The job is in fact his, and the interim has been removed. Eichenberger's title is executive sports editor, but the duties are more or less as described earlier in this thread. Or so I hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted