1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge shakeup at Newsday

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newsdayer, Jul 27, 2006.

1. fake shemp

fake shemp New Member

I've dealt with Bill a few times...one of the nicest SEs I've spoken to. Any word on who is going to take his spot?

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Original post:

Hank Winnicki, No. 1 deputy, named acting sports editor.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean the job is his.

4. QB

QB Member

I can't see local high school sports being slashed completely.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Extremely nice guy.

Perhaps too nice.

6. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

not slashed completely. Just not printed in the paper. It actually makes a lot of sense. Majority of the people that actually care about HS sports stories can go online and read it, or print it out if they want a hard copy.

But what's next? ... eliminate their New York Liberty stories?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good idea! ;D

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's a good thing the other NY papers don't give a shit about the Islanders, otherwise...

9. They're taking ALL their preps coverage out of the print version and putting it on the Web?

Hmmm ... maybe that makes some sense in a place like NYC, but not in flyover country.

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

I echo about Bill. Simplly one of the best and nicest guys in the biz.
    I am stunned by this.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I may be misreading the original post, but I took it to mean not that Newsday will no longer have high school coverage in the print edition but that it's going to improve its Net content. In other words that Bill E. is going to be taking the coverage of Nassau and Suffolk counties (combined population 2.8 million), as well as Queens, that appears in the print edition and putting it in some semblance of order on the Web site. Where does it say that print coverage will be eliminated? You are talking largely suburban counties in Nassau and Suffolk. I can't see them dropping preps from the print edition. If they do, it's madness.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Winnicki's a good man. Good luck to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted