1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge, huge sports story that won't (but should) get extensive coverage ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's just wrong.

Next time, take no cash and max out all your credit cards before playing.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn Doc, I'm so envious, but truly congrats.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Well, now you're just being greedy.

Seriously, congrats!

Two is damn impressive.

And this allows me to say again that I have a hole-in-one, too! It was more than 12 years ago, from 213 yards with a 5-wood. Lots of friends on hand, many witnesses.

Not that I love telling the story again.

doctorquant likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My first time golfing was in college. Very first hole was a barely 100-yarder. I had no clue what I was doing, yet put my drive within a couple feet of the hole. If I made a hole-in-one I would have retired from golf on the spot.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Most bizarre hole in one I ever saw was on our muni here in town. Take one of my good friends out. I'm a pretty good stick. He had only played a handful of times. 170-yards. He hits driver and goes about 50 yards in the air before it rolls.......and rolls.....and rolls.......and rolls.......in the hole.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Guys I used to play hoops with have an annual golf tournament. There are about 16 golfers of all different skills, including a few guys who can shoot in the mid-high 70s on a good day. Before everyone had kids, we did the tournament in upstate NY with a party on Friday night where handicaps were decided.

One year, one of the 36s (the once a year golfers who get 36 strokes for fun) drunkenly suggested that if you get a hole-in-one, you win. Everyone agrees. The next day, one of the guys who has never won and is getting something like 20 strokes is having the front 9 of his life, something like 3 over on the front on a tough course and he's basically got to shoot a 60 on the back and he cruises to the trophy.

On the first par 3 of the back 9, an impossible 200 yard downhill par 3, one of the better golfers mishits his long iron, which lands about 40 yards short of the green and rolls right in the hole. Everyone goes nuts. The next guy (a 36), hits the pin on his tee shot. Crazy.

7. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

I was playing by myself when I made my first ace. Not a soul in sight. 8-iron
    My second was a blind shot uphill 4 -iron playing with a buddy.
    My third was a 6-iron that flew into the hole playing with 3 friends
    My fourth one was a mishit 5-iron coming off a double bogey in a tournament.
    I've been playing for about 47 years now and you never know when you'll make one.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm suddenly thinking of Kim Jong Il.

Batman and cjericho like this.
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think spadjo has a few quadruple doubles in rec basketball?

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Me thinks he's outscored Melo Ball a few times. <crossthread>

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm dying to get one; never had one; seen (1) a buddy utterly blade a 5 iron from about 175 left about 20 yds from the green then in goes in; (2) my boy was 7 and he hits his driver 2 in off the ground about 75 yds and it goes in. My father in law has been a +2 in his life and qualified for the Senior Amatuer and never had one. I've shot an even par 72 from the blues and still searching for my first. Purely random.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Came close a number of times, but never had one. Saw my late Mom get one, however, on the 18th at the Old White Course at the Greenbrier. Pluses: They gave her a nifty Lucite trophy of the number one with a hole in the middle for the ball. As it's the 18th, there's always a crowd of people finishing up rounds, waiting to tee off, etc. to see it. They went nuts for her, which was nice. Minus: After cheering, the entire broke for the bar at Usain Bolt speed.

Draft saved Draft deleted