1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge fire at Dubai skyscraper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 31, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, let's turn this into an argument for government regulations!

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd guess hotels being built cheaply and quickly with tissue paper is exactly what the government wants, not what is slipping by due to lack of regulation.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Do you think that what just happened in Dubai is a good argument for deregulation?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

This is either being dumb or ignorant. NC isn't a journalist, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on ignorance.

Noticed NC doubled down on stupid.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Curious about your use of the word "or" there ...

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Shrug. I disagree. I've worked construction. I know a little bit about building codes. I also know about workers who, given half a chance, will do half-assed work, cover it up, and say "Well, I can't see that from the house." I also know that corporations and contractors, left to their own devices, will bid a job using barely adequate materials and then cut corners on them. The U.S. is over regulated, but when was the last time you saw the exterior of a skyscraper here burn like a cardboard box?

So enlighten me, oh ancient and wise one, as to my stupidity in thinking that the building code and inspectors in Dubai are very likely inadequate. Or is it that I point out that one of the prime tenets of Tea Party government hating is reflexive nonsense that offends your sensibilities?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sheesh, NC. Let's start with the fact that "business" and "government" in a place like Dubai ain't exactly separate entities.

8. JohnHammond

Your claim that regulations are inadequate means there aren't regulations? Regulations don't magically save lives. They are crafted by policy makers and special interests.

And I'm pretty far from Tea Party.

9. Neutral Corner

Okay, conceded. It's not like I have spent much (any) time in Dubai or the Middle East in general.

So how do you stretch that into our having actual building codes and inspections being a bad thing somehow? I mean other than crooked building inspectors and the like, and even there I submit that while we have that type of corruption it is far less egregious than in places where bribery of public officials is simply a given part of the construction budget.

10. Neutral Corner

Crafting intelligent regulations and their enforcement is also a function of government. As to special interests crafting them, I could not agree more. That's bad enough here, I can't imagine what kind of cesspool that sort of thing is there.

11. Neutral Corner

I suppose it is simply that I have not seen what you so often have in your jobs, and don't have the same level of cynicism about government. I know that if I were asked about the actions of the government of the City of Birmingham my answer would be substantially more cynical and bitter.

12. JohnHammond

How do you think regulations are made in Dubai? The emir and the royal family know what they're getting. Any shock coming from the emir or his officials has the same effect as Captain Louis Renault's response after being told gambling is taking place in Rick's nightclub.

Draft saved Draft deleted