1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge fire at Dubai skyscraper

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 31, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Carpet could burn. If the stairwells were carpeted it could travel from floor to floor that way.

I also have no idea if fire suppression code over there is the same as it is over here.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They said this building had a fire start on the 20th floor, looked like a 60-story roman candle within 20-30 minutes, and only 17 people were killed/injured?
    How is that even possible? Was the place uninhabited?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would assume it has to do with the building being so modern and having high-tech fire doors/sprinkler systems that kept the fire mostly contained to the exterior. A resident witness on CNN said the building only opened about 6 years ago.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Maybe it was Buffet Night.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They'll need something in all those stadiums they're building for the World Cup in Qatar, come to think of it ...

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The accelerant used would be the flammable building materials used on the cheap due to non-existent building codes over there.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I suspect one reason nobody reportedly died was because the upper floors had apartments, not hotel rooms. Easier to clear out four apartments on a floor than 40 hotel rooms.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not surprising. Takes an awful lot of corners being cut to transform a place in less than two decades from this:
    [​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]

I'd sure hate to be trying to sell a Dubai high rise condo today.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yet another case of "government is bad and stupid, it gets in the way of making money and slows things down with unreasonable regulations and inspections" - until something goes wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted