1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huff Post to fund investigative journos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herky_Jerky, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

A friend just sent me this link and I didn't see it on here anywhere ...

http://www.startribune.com/business/42080717.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUF

Certainly seems like an interesting move.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Totally agenda-free and completely objective, I'm sure.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Took the words - and the implied blue font - right out of my mouth.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Another downside of the decline of newspapers - sure some groups will fund and support investigative journalism, but the lack of independence and the conflict of interests will make such investigations pointless.
    If I was a whistleblower I don't know which news org I'd go to anymore.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I'm sure that they'll shoot out lights on both sides of the street for sure. They'll be totally objective and free of bias. Democrats will have as much to fear as Republicans from these investigative journalists!

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

On the Romenesko site we learn that a senior advisor for this is Jay Rosen, who was one of the leading bigmouths for the "public journalism" fad of the 1990s. And we all know how effective that was.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nothing's stopping Town Hall from doing the same thing.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting this venture will allow any publication to reprint the articles it produces.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I actually caught a link to one of my stories on the Huffington Post once during an ego search on Google.

I wouldn't mind getting a gig like this. Actually, a friend of mine who was at my previous shop made noises recently about starting a news service in Godless County. If she could get the capital, I wouldn't mind working for/with her.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

From what I read, it would be nice if they properly compensated the writers who really helped build the site, but I won't knock anybody who's willing to pour money into reportage.

Draft saved Draft deleted