1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huckabee made a funny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So it might be OK to corral all HIV patients in Nebraska where there's lot of room but not in Massachusetts? Yeah, that makes sense.

Thanks for pointing that out.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I think I boiled down my statement to simplicity. The man has no qualifications and appeals to nobody outside of simpletons and bigoted religious nuts. As such, if the man wins the nomination it will be on the back of those people.

If Dennis Kucinich became the nominee for the Democrats, it would be on the backs of vegetarians and the extremely far left. He has no appeal otherwise. What ideas has the man expressed (aside from the war) that are able to be appealing to anyone other than vegetarians and the extremely far left?

Simply being governor does not qualify you to be president. It is what you do as governor that enables people to judge how you can make the leap and what kind of actions you will take.

However, the fact that this concept is foreign to you is no real surprise.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, his simpletons have kicked his candidate's asses over much of the last 40 years.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If I might, Pastor, I would ask that you give Huckabee credit for being what he is -- a good politician.

I tend to agree with your assessment of his expertise. I really do.

But the man has a charisma about him that explains his support in large part. He's a good speaker. He's quick on his feet. He has a bit of a populist streak and exhibits a seemingly genuine empathy for the less fortunate. In a field full of completely unlikable GOP hopefuls, that's been enough to shoot him from obscurity to where he is now.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Damn, Zeke, two in a row. You're on a roll. :)

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't disagree with you at all. The man is incredibly sharp and quick witted when thinking on his feet in campaign situations. However, I’m referring to the meat of his campaign and who the man is. If someone is merely looking at the candidate and saying, “He talks good, I like him,” then that person would probably fall into that simpleton category I listed earlier.

Even looking at his most recent decision, his “Merry Christmas” commercial; it is a brilliant stroke to be the first to release one (if the others even thought at all about doing so). However, what does it really boil down to? Did he wish happy holidays on anyone that may celebrate a different holiday than Christmas? Did he release a Happy Hanukah video at the start of that holiday? The answer is simple: No. The reason is that he simply doesn’t care about anyone of any other faith.

He doesn’t need to apologize for this. He can continue to feel the way he feels. However, that doesn’t bode well in terms of qualifications for the US Presidency.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We are agreed. And it is interesting that Huckabee for the GOP and Obama for the Dems were the first up with their Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays ads in Iowa.

I think you can read from that that both have internal polls showing them ahead. It's to both of their political advantages for any attacks to stop for Christmas, and by the time the informal truce is over around the 27th, there are just six days to go and they'll try to paint any and all attacks as last-minute desperation.

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

This isn't really the right thread for it, but Zeke your post made me think of this...

Nightline yesterday had a "The Softer Side of Hillary Clinton" feature. It was horrendous, and honestly if enough people saw it could be Hill's Dean Scream moment.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You stay classy, pastor.

10. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Pastor, Ric Flair wants you in the cage, brother!

[​IMG]

WOOOOO

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Or you could actually post something of substance. I ran down the man's track record and history. I went over his achievements (I'm certain that some are missed). It boils down to one target audience. You may not like it, but it is a fact.

He didn't make a Happy Hanukah or Happy Holidays add. He made a Merry Christmas ad. Who does that target?

But, I guess for pointing out the obvious and looking at a candidate's substance, I'm not "classy."

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, your remarks about Republicans being bigots and simpletons led me to call you less than classy, not your research into Huckabee.

Draft saved Draft deleted