1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huckabee made a funny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Such as...

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

What are your qualifications?

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I didn't know Pastor was running for president.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Tancredo will never be a part of a GOP national ticket, unless the party pros have privy to information that utter economic catastrophe is pending, and thus would WANT to lose.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh, but his smug, superior attitude should encourage him to lead us all down his path of righteousness, or whatever he wants to call it.

And while he rants on Huckabee for alleged homophobia, here's an excerpt of his defense of the remarks he agrees he made about the subject of quarantines for AIDS patients:

"In the late 80’s and early 90’s we were still learning about the virus that causes AIDS. My concern, as a Senate candidate at the time, was to deal with the virus using the same public health protocols that medical science and public health professionals would use with any infectious disease," he said. "Before a disease can be cured and contained we need to know exactly how and with near certainty what level of contact transmits the disease. There was still too much confusion about HIV transmission in those early years."

Huckabee said the focus at the time was to limit exposure, and that we now know the virus is spread differently than originally thought.

But since pastor tells us so much we should learn about tolerance and bigotry, that probably isn't good enough for him. With such insight, he should, ahem, consider running so that someone intelligent enough is leading this country.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ok, maybe not several. But this one is hateful. I'm neither a simpleton, nor a bigot.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

3_bags, what qualifications does Huckabee have to be president?

His college major was theology yet he knows little to nothing about Mormonism. Before becoming governor, he was a pastor; this is fine yet it isn’t exactly one of those jobs that are very open for alternative and progressive ideas. He placed a home schooling parent (home schooling for religious reasons only) in charge of the state’s education department. He wants creationism taught in schools. He hates homosexuals. He argued, wrongly, that the founding fathers were deeply religious.

All of these items appeal to only one type of person: the religious conservative.

When confronted with the idea that removing the IRS and putting in a flat tax would lead to black market sales, the man was dumbfounded. The idea that people might purchase goods illegally to avoid paying taxes never occurred to him.

What qualifications does the man have outside of being very religious and governor? Being as the “very religious” part is only an appeal at the religious conservative, there must be something as governor that he can hang his hat on. So, what would that be?

As demonstrated here, the man is a simpleton. If someone chooses to elect a simpleton, they, themselves, must be simpletons. This shouldn’t be insulting, it should be a fact. Why would anyone choose to elect someone that is of lower intelligence then themselves?

The aspect of religious bigots... well I think that is also covered.

So, where is his support coming from, then? It must be from simpletons and religious bigots since the man has no outside appeal. Of course, if you are able to point out some wonderful accomplishments made by Mr. Huckabee during his tenure as governor, I’m all ears (eyes?).

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't think I've made any statements concerning his qualifications. I, frankly, don't care.

But when you make a general statement like you made above, it doesn't help your case.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

So a governor isn't qualified to be president? You are the ultimate in smug and insolent behavior. Take your San Francisco and New York mindset culture and keep it there. Don't force it on the rest of the country. That's the beauty of state's rights which your so-called religion-hating authors of the constitution built. Much of the rest of the country doesn't need your mentality. Middle America continues to exhibit it in votes.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bigotry is a state's right, dammit!

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No, but a determination of what is good for Nebraska or Colorado isn't the same as what's preferable for California or TPR Massachusetts.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I believe Pastor was referring to this governor. Not a governor. Not all governors. This governor.

Draft saved Draft deleted