1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huck Finn's Last Ride (Brett Favre feature), SI, Dec. 4

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 30, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh hell, people are mad at Brett Favre because he ain't so hot anymore. I think more people want him to go than want him to stay. He's the one with the existential crisis, not his fans.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hard to say.

There's still plenty of people who want him to stay. I'm one of them (as long as it's with the Packers, anyway. Don't want a "Unitas 19" Chargers jersey floating around for him.)

But I don't think it's his existential crisis at all -- he just wants to play football, or he doesn't. Sometimes, it wavers. That's it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like an existential crisis to me. Anyhoo, the article is definitely a throwback to an era when the actually quite prosaic was usually rendered mythic.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, why should anyone count Favre's prime when making comparisons?

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Very forced to me -- as if it will give the story some gravitas.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

The Bipolar Romantic Disorder gripping Wisconsin could be described thusly: We love Brett. But we love him in inverse proportion to the number of INTs he throws. We love him, but not at the expense of rebuilding the program. We love Brett, but not at the risk of another 4-12 season. We love him, but this is Titletown, U.S.A., after all....[/quote]
    [/quote]

macgregor is a good writer - i loved his nascar book - but one small quibble - the use of "we" - it assumes a lot - that the writer is speaking for all of us - when obviously he's not - it's a hokey device

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Favre's in his 16th season, 15th as a starter. Are you saying he was past his prime by 1997?

8. What should he have done instead? Listed every fan who feels that way in order to leave out the ones who don't?

Based on what I hear, I think it's a fair generalization. I have no problem with it.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Gary Smith uses the "we" device all the time and he's universally adored here. I have no problem with it either. I'd give just about anything to write this well.

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Actually Smith uses the "you" device. And, to me, it's probably his most cloying tool.

Draft saved Draft deleted