1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huck Finn's Last Ride (Brett Favre feature), SI, Dec. 4

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's SO dangerous to rate QB play on stats. The only more misleading stat may be Wide Receiver numbers.

There is so much revealed in reviewing the game film about each one of those plays that produces a stat.

And, the fucking QB rating.... Like I said in the Marino thread... he threw balls away left and right to avoid sacks.... Guess what that does to the QB rating?

That all said, you may be exactly right.

The two games I have seen Favre play this season, he has the same problem Marino had in 1999. His brain gives him a clock and a sense of ability that existed in 1996, and doesn't anymore. So, balls that he used to fit into spots tighter than, say, a slot person's ass on deadline, now are off target, more of them are now touched.... batted.... intercepted by those in non-green jerseys.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Please don't turn this thread into a debate about Favre's worthiness. It's posted on the journalism board for a reason. There is already a six-page thread about Favre on the sports board.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Conscience of the board very busy today.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Double Down,

I'll reserve my comments until this evening when I've finished the piece, but performance matters a little when the guy's being portrayed as the lion in winter.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Stop it. I'm the conscience of the board, dammit.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Is he wrong, you little schnib?

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yeah, sure.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw the Steve Young thing you are talking about. And it was, "the five quarterbacks he'd take if he had to win one big game." Obviously Tom Brady was at the top of the list. Favre was in there, too. Favre has proven that he often plays at his best in the biggest games. It was fair to put him on that list.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

God, if I wasn't so lazy, I'd go looking for Favre's stat lines in the playoffs.

He's played well in SOME big games. He's played absolutely horribly in some others. Just terrible.

Pretty much like, well, his entire career. Not be a total stat-head about it, but it seems like the same argument people are always having in baseball about clutch hitting. Over a period of time, you are who you are. Play enough playoff games, and your playoff stats should look pretty similar to your regular-season stats.

Favre, for example, is amazingly inconsistent in the postseason...Just like the regular season.

Sorry about contributing to the threadjack...I know this doesn't have much to do with journalism. But I will say we as a profession often use "clutch-ness" as a crutch for when the numbers don't back us up on something.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was underwhelmed by the article... About 10 years ago, Rick Reilly wrote "John Elway, an appreciation" which was nothing short of brilliant...

By SI's lofty standards, this was mediocre at best...

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That point won't be this season, of course. Rodgers is out for said season.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I went back and read that Elway article a year or so ago and was underwhelmed. Which was odd because I remembered it being one of my favorites when it ran.

I really like the rhythm of sentences. The cadence to them. That's what struck me about this one. And, or course, the lack of force pop culture references.

Draft saved Draft deleted