1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS team wins 100-0, seeks to forfeit game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 22, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Let them score?

That is even more embarrassing and demeaning than shutting them out.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No, it's not.

It's called being a good sport.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There are acceptable ways to "let" teams score: i.e. not pressing, playing your deepest bench players, etc. You don't have to stand all five on the sideline and let the other team make an uncontested shot.

Pressing non-stop and keeping your starters in till they hit 100 is not acceptable, either.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I seem to recall softball players being lauded around the world for helping an opponent around the bases when she hurt her knee and couldn't continue on her own after hitting a home run. If her teammates had touched her, she would be out.

So I guess Zag would have taken a bat to the other knee. Just win, baby.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/01/earlyshow/main4061276.shtml

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The country would be a better place if more 16 year-old girls experienced 100-0 drubbings.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Intrigued, ideas, newsletter, etc.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Like I said, how the game was played says much more than the score.

There are more tiny schools out there than you could imagine, and they often do cobble up just enough people to play a varsity schedule, just because they can... and in girls basketball, no level of awfulness surprises me. And there are plenty of officials who love the sound of their whistle more than just simply getting a drubbing over with.

However, the pedal should've been taken off the gas at halftime. The game wasn't in doubt.. rotate bench players and get it over with.

Illinois is slowly adopting a 30-point, fourth-quarter running clock rule to avoid situations like this. And while there are certainly blowouts, almost on a nightly basis, there has never been anything remotely close to this in our area.

9. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Didn't you just report that the girls weren't playing to win? If so, your post makes little sense.

And I'm sure you will make a wonderful father when you grow up.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wire story now up says the team was shooting 3s and pressing into the fourth quarter.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

http://www.startribune.com/nation/38155959.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl

I'd run the coach out of town on a rail, personally.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm kinda scared, because if you remove the political bullshit, I align closer to zag on this than the other side.

Should they press? No. Should they try to get the stars out of the game? Yes.

Should they stop trying to score? Hell, no.

At some point, the onus is on the other team to get better or don't play.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, so it's pretty much been established this wasn't a case of the winning coach being powerless to stop the onslaught. This was a coach who was clearly trying to ring up 100 on a lousy team. There's no defending this bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted