1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS team wins 100-0, seeks to forfeit game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, what's more (or less) impressive: losing by a C-note or not scoring a single point?

I guess going scoreless. That's gotta be damn hard to do even if you're trying not to score.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yet another example of how we are becoming a nation of wusses.

The other girls got their asses handed to them, it happens, move on.

The girls won't be psychologically scarred for life because of it I'm sure.

Of course, once the adults get involved and start screaming "shame" at everyone, well that's a different story.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Not true. I've seen (in person) three girls games where the final score ended up low 100s to 20 or 30-something, and that was with the third string on the court for most of the second half and no press.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Not the coach's fault. Not the players' fault.

But the AD? Don't schedule shit like this (if it can be avoided). If it can't be avoided, the state association should be blamed.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

it was a district game so it had to be played unless someone wanted to forfeit before the game. and when you're dealing with schools this small, the state association (in this case tapps), really can't do a lot about discrepancies in ability.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

From the story:

The Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and just 20 girls in the school.

The academy specializes in teaching students with what it calls "learning differences", such as short attention spans or difficulty in concentrating.

I'd say the psychological part is already there.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You know, if this were a pick-up game of anything--football, hockey, baseball, basketball and one of the teams was kicking ass, the kids would put a halt to the proceedings and re-arrange the teams to make the game competitive.

Kids don't play sports to humiliate the other team.

Games like this are an absolutely pointless activity.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

If the school that got beat is aware that its players can't compete, why is it playing a varsity schedule? Cancel the varsity season and just play JV games if that is the case.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's an embarrassment. The winning team should have worked on its passing and running its offense and working the frigging clock.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I call bullshit. No way the team doesn't get lucky, chuck up a three in the second half that goes in or something. Or hits a free throw. The winning team must have played some tough nosed defense.

11. zagoshe

You are wrong. Go to a typical playground where "winner's got next" and kids are loading up their teams to stay on the court.

Parents fuck a lot of things up -- but the idea that competition and wanting to win is driven exclusively by adults is psychobabbling liberal bullshit.

This game should obviously have not been scheduled but once it was the results are what they are.

And this notion that we need to scold teams for winning by too many points is ridiculous.

As Herm Edwards would say "you play to win the game" and it is up to your opponent to stop you.

12. zagoshe

Yes, because it is so embarrasing to blow out your opponent in a game in which the whole reason for it existing is for you to try and win it....... ::)

I'm so fucking sick of the weak-minded whiners in this God damn country -- and unfortunately it is only going to get worse now that we put one of them in the White House.

Draft saved Draft deleted