1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS student kicked out of honors class for cheating; parents sue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 26, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because this is America, land of the bed wetting psychobabbling fools who have convinced a whole generation that they are entitled to the best of everything and don't even have to nor should they have to work for it.

A nation of wusses, indeed.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They are saying that the rules weren't clear and that it should have taken second offense for him to be removed from the class.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ... You have restored my faith in the board.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Man, there are some people who are going to laugh their asses off upon finding out that somebody directed that post at me, but I thank you.

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Just because something's not clearly stated doesn't mean your kids should get a second chance. He cheated, he got caught. He should have to deal with the consequences.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Two words: Tort reform.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How much homework should a fifth grader have each night? When I ask how much, I mean how much time should be spent doing it?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I recall some guideline of 10 minutes per grade ... so your 5th grader should have, on average, 50 minutes or so.

9. JosephC.Myers

That's about what my step-daughter has per night.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And that is pretty much the perfect amount.

I really hate hearing of nine and ten year olds having two to three hours of homework a night. I really hate it.

When you give homework, you try to give the amount that the middle kid ability wise can do in 10 minutes. The smartest student will have it done much faster, but the lowest student will struggle more and take longer.

To me homework is nothing more than a reminder of what took place in class that day and a way for discussion to be opened up between the student and parents. It should also help the parent notice if their child "gets" what is being taught. It also teaches some responsibility about taking something home and bringing it back. That is a big deal for some students.

Also, if a teacher is sending homework home that was not taught because they ran out of time or did not get to it, that is totally unacceptable. As a teacher, especially one on block scheduling, if you cannot teach what you need in 90 minutes, something is very wrong. I'm not saying every kid needs to understand it, but you have to introduce it.

I also feel homework should never be graded. In a classroom everyone pretty much is on a level playing field with materials and resources. That is not the case in the home.

That's my homework rant. My grading rant is next if we ever get on that topic.

11. JosephC.Myers

Well said on all your points.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was trying to be provocative, but the bottom line is if you don't do the homework, it will catch up with you and you will do poorly in class. So I don't think copying homework is quite as bad as copying test answers.

Anyway, is an honors class a big deal? Here honors classes are the second-lowest level of classes in high school -- below advanced classes and AP classes.

The only thing lower might be shop, PE or sports writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted