1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS Student Jailed For Setting 12 Chickens Loose In His School; Pays $3K Bail

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, May 21, 2012.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/may/21/4/teen-accused-releasing-12-chickens-westerville-hig-ar-1044147/

Please read the story here and then the comments by the local folks who read it. In the first place, it may have been a harmless prank, but c'mon....

Anymore, especially after Columbine, I can see why, maybe, the authorities did not think this was so funny. Was the fine too high? Hard to say. But I have almost as much of a problem with the comments about the incident than I do the incident itself.

To me, it just shows further stupidity on this kid's part -- considered prank or not.

Where does the SportsJournalists.com crowd come down on this?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I dunno. But the thing that I noticed, and didn't think is right, is that the school district named one of the kids, but not the other, because one is 17 and the other is 18.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's standard. I don't understand why the police were involved in this.

Seems like a pretty harmless prank, except perhaps for the chickens.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know it is standard, but I don't think it is right.

It's hard to tell if they got the kid's name from the school district or from the police, because it says the school district declined to give the name of the minor.

Either way, if you are not going to name one kid, then I don't think you should name the other.

5. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

I don't see how Columbine is any sort of explanation for this.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't see a fine, just the $3,500 bail.

I think they're taking it too far. It was some chickens running around. BFD. Suspend the kids from any after-school activities (prom, etc.), don't let them walk at graduation if you really want, but come on, leave the cops and courts out of it. They've got more important stuff to worry about.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

This.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not letting them walk ends a lot of pranks for the next 5-10 years, and it would be a proper punishment. Keep the police out of it, and if the parents want to sue, tell them fine because the school's lawyers are probably bigger than the family's lawyer.

In this day and age, walking into a school with a mask and releasing something is pretty serious.

We had a prank a few years ago where a students brought in hundreds of pumpkins and placed one in the center of every parking spot in the high school. It was a pain in a ass, but no one was harmed and no damage was done.

The maintenance men who cleared the lot were not too happy, but if you are going to do a prank, do something that does not hurt anyone or damage anything. Be creative.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with you except for the bolded portion. Releasing chickens is not serious. If they walked in shrouded in hoods and masks and released a big cloud of baby powder, I could see it being described as serious because, for all anyone knows, that powder is a dangerous chemical agent and it would probably incite a panic.

But chickens? I doubt anyone was concerned they were being attacked with weapons of fowl destruction.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yeah the $3500 is the bail. doesn't say what the penalty is, would think community service. Did the school notify PETA.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Keep fuckin' that chicken.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If chickens got into the food prep area, you would have to close the kitchen for the day.

This was not a good prank.

Draft saved Draft deleted