1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS prep preview

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Mizzougrad10, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad10

Mizzougrad10 New Member

Just looking for some basic feedback from this preview article I did. Thanks in advance.

When Brady Hammond, the Rock Bridge student assistant boys basketball coach looks at the opposing bench tonight, family will look back.

No. 8-ranked Rock Bridge (19-2) plays No. 10 Liberty (15-5) at 7 p.m. at the Rock Bridge gymnasium.

Hammond grew up in Liberty and played for the Blue Jays in high school. Now, as a junior at MU, Hammond volunteers his time for the Bruins basketball program as an assistant coach.

“I’ll be 100 percent for Rock Bridge in the varsity game,” Hammond said.

Hammond’s two brothers, Tyler and Ben Hammond, will play in the junior varsity game.

“If my brothers are in the JV game, I want them to do well,” Hammond said.

Hammond aspires to be a high school head coach after he graduates with a degree in education. His dad, Tommy Hammond, who played for Clemson, coached him in junior high and AAU basketball.

“My dad said he regretted not being a head coach,” Brady Hammond said. “I came to MU as a pre-med student but didn’t like science as much as I thought. I always liked teaching, so I changed to education and thought about being a coach.”

Rock Bridge coach Jim Scanlon said Brady Hammond sent him a letter earlier this year and asked about volunteering to help the program. “We met for lunch and we really meshed,” Scanlon said. “He really fits into the program and helps the kids out a lot.”

Brady Hammond scouts for the Bruins. For tonight’s game againstLiberty, he filmed and did a scouting report on the Blue Jaystwice.

In addition to scouting, Hammond helps out at practice. Monday, Hammond stretched with the team while exchanging chuckles with sophomore Ricky Kreklow. Hammond then joined in the scrimmage while Scanlon focused on correcting some of his team’s mistakes.

“What’d I shoot? One for 20 from the field,” Hammond said jokingly. “It’s fun playing even when I’m not as good as I used to be.”

Hammond’s responsibilities extend beyond practice. While Scanlon prefers to stay out of the joking and kidding around, Hammond joins right in.

“It’s nice to have a young coach around,” senior Sam Thompson said. “He’s an easy target to make fun of because he’s the new guy.”

Hammond hopes his experience at Rock Bridge and with a veteran coach like Scanlon helps him down the road.

“I’ve really learned a lot,” Hammond said. “His philosophy and my dad’s philosophy are pretty much the same.”

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think you need to indicate Brady Hammond's position in the lede. It might read better if it were:

When Brady Hammond looks at the opposing bench tonight, family will look back.

A student assistant for No. 8-ranked Rock Bridge (19-2), which plays No. 10 Liberty (15-5) at 7 p.m. at the Rock Bridge gymnasium tonight, Hammond grew up in Liberty and played for the Blue Jays in high school. Now, as a junior at MU, Hammond volunteers his time for the Bruins basketball program as an assistant coach.

The other thing I don't like about the piece is the absence of any quotes from his father. You probably should get into what he makes of his son being on the opposite bench, and what he thinks of his coaching aspirations.

You could also see if you could talk to his mom, although sometimes that can look tired, see the constant references to Ann Bowden (Bobby's wife, Tommy's mom) in the early years of those Clemson-Florida State games. But that's a matter of feel, and if you can get anything out of her or either coach that would make people think, you should go for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted