1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS opening -- Columbus, MS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Paul_Bowker, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Paul_Bowker

Paul_Bowker New Member

If covering high school athletics is your passion, let’s talk. The Commercial Dispatch, a six-day daily newspaper located in Columbus and Starkville, Mississippi, is seeking a high school reporter who’ll take charge of this beat in a community that is active with sports. Columbus is home to a state basketball champion. Our athletes have gone on to play at Mississippi State University and other power conferences. Our coverage area includes Columbus, Starkville and other parts of eastern Mississippi.

We’re looking for a writer who will take ownership of this beat and go beyond the game story. You will have the opportunity to write enterprise stories, cover the biggest of games and break news. We’re looking for someone who can design pages on a regular basis and work with freelancers, but the main part of your job is producing great content and working with a growing sports staff of three.

Send a cover letter, resume and three of your best clips to: pbowker@cdispatch.com

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

A lot of turnover here but it's new leadership in the sports department so worth a shot if you're young/looking for a new scene. The paper is locally owned and pretty solid.

RonClements likes this.
  3. bportnoy

bportnoy New Member

I'm the new Mississippi St. reporter here. Happy to answer any questions if you want to message me on twitter @bportnoy15. Great place to work!

4. Paul_Bowker

Paul_Bowker New Member

For those of you who applied to me, I thank you. It was a strong group for what will be a challenging job.

Also for those I haven't gotten to yet, and I apologize if I haven't reached out to you personally, I have chosen to leave the Dispatch, effective May 10. So it won't be me that you would be working for. At least not here.

I am available on DM.

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted