1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS makes student with Down syndrome and autism remove varsity letter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ordinary high school kids who are wearing letter jackets their mom bought them will catch hell in the halls and the locker room. That's self correcting.

Coming down on a Down's kid who played a little and wants one is a dick move. This is *not* the equivalent of every kid in the soccer league getting a trophy. It's a special case, and it should have been treated as one.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I am not one to say what others should do, but it would do my heart good if the students turned in their letter jackets to the principal's office, like jersey scene in Rudy.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is it a reward system or a class system?
    If it's for varsity sports only, it's a class system.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bullshit

I'm going to go out and make me a make Purple Heart, because, well, those who know who deserve it, yada, yada, yada...

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

JV has their own different letter.

I guess I can make up my own diploma then, too?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If there were any differing viewpoints on this, they wouldn't be heard here after the shaming of ThomsonONE. The right to one's opinion sure has flown over heads here. Still.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Why do I have the feeling that if the kid was Trig Palin, the SJ Army of Perpetually Offended would have a completely different take and consider this a story about special treatment because of who his mom is?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

an opinion was offered, it remains posted. Shaming is free speech too. The ability to disagree with repugnant speech is why repugnant is protected. Want to advocate for slavery, shooting gays in the head, branding adulterers or gassing Jews? Go ahead. Just remember that others are entitled to their opinions too. Poor Varsity Athletes, lest anyone consider an Autistic Child with Down Syndrome as equal to you, and your mommy will scream from the highest pulpit. Poor Poor Letterman

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When I was in school, there were four levels of award: The Major Letter, the Minor Letter, Numerals and Certificate.

The Major Letter was for varsity members that played significant roles, the minor letter was for either starters on the JV or varsity players who were on the roster but rarely or never played. Numerals were for JV scrubs and the "certificate" was more or less a participation ribbon.

By the way, you had to have a written notice from the school to show at the sporting goods store to be able to buy your jacket with the major or minor letter on it.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You can't possibly be this dense. He has every right to that opinion. What he does not have is the right to be free from criticism. Take the knee-jerk contrarianism elsewhere. Or stay here and be mocked. Your choice.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

ThomsonONE must be a State College waitress.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because the butthurt, it flows strong in you.

If we're going to use that comparison, that particular case would probably be something like this: the mother of the special needs kid demands the coach put him on the roster, then demands he be put in the starting lineup, demands the entire opposing team get out of his way and clear the court so he can shoot every time he touches the ball, and then demands the referees count it 50 points every time he makes a basket so he can break every scoring record in the state, then go to the local newspapers and demand he be selected all-conference, all-state, all-America, etc etc., because he is averaging 100 points per game, and then call up ESPN and allege it is a conspiracy her lil darling is not going to be the top NBA draft choice because look at all those big neegros like LeBron, Kobe, Glen Rice (I said 'big' :confused: ) who went to the NBA and made millions, and they never averaged 100 points per game in high school.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted