1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS makes student with Down syndrome and autism remove varsity letter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Local sporting goods store, I'd imagine.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I think, IIRC, that we could pick up the letters at the local embroidery shop, where we could also buy the jackets.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got my letters from athletics personnel. Never put them on a jacket, though.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, as others have said, teams usually hand them out, but the place where you get them put on and the rest of the jacket done also have them on hand. Story said she bought it, so I assume she just went to the local sports uniform shop and asked for it.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I get the rule if some random kid wants to buy a jacket to lie about being on a team to try to pull chicks, or if it was someone on the team that didn't earn a letter, but this is a special needs teen, let it go.

BTW, my son earned an academic letter and I was so pleased he didn't want a jacket. My wife's letter jacket from 25 years ago is still in our closet.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

KSN is a piece of crap station - a place that generally can't stay out of its own way.

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The letter is something that is earned, not simply given to anyone that wants one. The kid should have it taken away, he didn't earn it. The mother should understand that, and accept that the school does not revolve around her son.

This could have been a teaching moment for him, his parents explaining that accolades must be earned, instead they think he should get it because he tries hard. Life and the world do not work that way. Not everything the kid does is wonderful or special or deserves reward, and he is old enough to learn that.

If the kid wanted to wear a NHS collar at graduation should he because he tried hard? Wrong message. Unearned rewards are meaningless, earned rewards are meaningful. That's the way it is.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

use the blue font or change your name to douchenozzle.
    The student, Michael Kelley, has Down Syndrome and autism. Kelley is not a varsity athlete but participates in extra-curricular special needs basketball.

He's probably faking it, right

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rhody, is that you?

Rules are rules.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What a vile perspective.

DeskMonkey1, Mr. Sunshine and BDC99 like this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. Wow. Or if this is a real sentiment, please go away.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The way it is for most people is not the way it is for special-needs kids.

Baron Scicluna and expendable like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted