1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS kid runs for 658 yards...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Paul McCoy ran for 658 yards in a West Virginia high school football game but might not have set a national record.
    His yardage tops the National Federation of State High School Association's listed record of 619 yards set by Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard, Calif., in 1995.
    But high school records historian Doug Huff said Saturday the recognized record is 739 yards by John Giannantonio of Netcong, N.J., in 1950, against Mountain Lakes.
    ``The National Federation book for some reason does not include that (the 739 yards), and I think the reason is there's a formal process for submitting those things,'' Huff said Saturday. ``This school doesn't exist anymore. The papers recognized it. The school had a special ceremony. It's been in my records for years.''
    McCoy piled up his yardage on just 29 carries -- an average of 22.7 yards per attempt -- and scored 10 touchdowns as Matewan beat Burch 64-0 on Friday. McCoy racked up 477 of his yards scoring on touchdown runs that covered 69, 1, 52, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards.
    He also had a 77-yard touchdown run called back because of a penalty.
    McCoy did set a state record with his 658 yards, and his 10 touchdowns would tie him with two others for the second most in the nation. The record is 12, set by Ken Pearson of Hugo, Colo., in 1930.
    McCoy, averaging 345 yards per game, has 1,723 yards and 26 touchdowns this season."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, two things here. First, pull the kid, coach. He's busting long plays for scores left and right, and you still have him in leading 40-0? 50-0? 60-0?
    Secondly, I think something's wrong with the score (or Matewah also has the world's worst kicker who connected on only 4 of 10 PATs).

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32455/

I'll take a Fat Tire.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Scroll down a bit next time...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32455/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.