1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS kid goes 14 innings, 194 pitches

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 15, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/5/15/5720296/high-schooler-throws-194-pitches

After the initial horror of the numbers, I came around to thinking this was actually pretty cool. The kid is an infielder on a 1A team in Washington state, but they got in a scheduling jam and need him to pitch. And he just ran it out there. Got a lot of attention -- including tweets from David Price to take it easy -- but he is explaining it pretty well.

Dylan Fosnacht @DFosnacht5
    People just don't understand. I'm not a ace pitcher, I'm a infielder who pitches every now and then. Not a prospect ruining there career

Or as another person wrote:

Aaron VanTuyl @ChronAVT
    Dylan Fosnacht is gonna be so mad in 5 years when a doctor tells him his pitching career that ended 4 years and 11 months ago is over.

Kind of the essence of high school sports right there -- he is using it all up when he can, with no expectation of anything beyond the horizon.

If there's anything to worry about, it's actually the guy who caught into the 15th inning, THEN took off the gear and relieved Fosnacht in the 15th and pitched into the 17th, THEN pitched seven innings of the next game of the doubleheader.

But ... again. At this point, neither one is looking at his arm as a part of his financial future.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about the kid's use of "there".

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My first thought: State association has no weekly limits? Second: Sky does not seem to be falling down.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just waiting to find out that all 194 of those pitches were curves. :D

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did they play ketsu batto afterward?

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The irony is that people are mad because this just ruined his pro career.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least he's getting attention from the media. He might have just won himself a scholarship.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

You only write about my kid when he throws one billion pitches and blows out his elbow.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Back in the day, pitchers used to throw 100+ pitches routinely at all levels. It was sort of the goal of a starting pitcher to pitch a complete game. A shutout was an added bonus. Such wussies today.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen bad coaches ruin the arms of young kids with potential. But if you're not being stupid about it, kids can throw that many pitches over the span of 2-3 days and be fine as long as they're not throwing curves all the time.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's Class 1A (very small school) high school baseball and a kid that wasn't even a regular pitcher.

Not completely apples to apples, but one place I worked a very good team had a star softball pitcher. Elimination game in the playoffs went extra inning and on and on (18 innings total, IIRC). Our reporter got the quote of the year: "Dad came out and told coach he was worried about my arm. I told him to go have a seat behind the dugout and shut up."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's apples to complete nothingness. A softball pitcher's arm is never at risk.

Did you get arrested for your interaction with the pitcher?

Draft saved Draft deleted