1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS hoopster suspended for email to coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 7, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

A player, any player, sending an expletive-laced e-mail to his coach -- whether it was on school property or not -- sounds like reason for the coach to suspend the player for insubordination.
    And we still haven't heard from the player, only from his father -- again.

As for the ruling that you can't suspend the players for an incident that happened off school grounds, are these administrators seriously telling us that if these players were arrested for underage drinking, they can't discipline them?
    Or were none of the basketball players among the kids arrested, therefore, there is no recourse? We still don't know that "fact" either because the original story only says "according to sources" one player was cited for underage drinking. What if the sources were not accurate and no basketball players were cited?

There are still way too many holes and way too much he said/he said here. The P-G opened a can of worms by printing the pissy father's original story when they should not have, in my opinion. Now the Trib has jumped into the middle of an on-going pissing contest, but seemingly taking the coach's side.

Bad work all around.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the cops are involved and it didn't happen on school property, schools don't want to have anything to do with it. Don't even want to know about it.

I know this for a fact. Personally. Unfortunately.

3. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

I agree the e-mail was a little strong for a co-captain. Write it but DON'T CLICK SEND. Go to the coach and talk it out. Coach may not be able to formally suspend the players who admitted to being at the party but he could send a message by benching them.
    That is if he has any stones and hopes to maintain the respect of those not at the party.
    Guessing Mr. Phillips will be exploring transfer options for his son.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That's how it should be. Unfortunately, in a lot of places, that's not how it is. In the district I used to teach in, it was notorious for bowing to parent pressure and not backing up coaches. A lot of them are now former coaches because they quit rather than being consistently undermined.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not everywhere, Ace. In fact, I remember an incident at another Pittsburgh suburban school, Riverview, a few years back. A very large part of the football team was suspended after being arrested at a party where there was alcohol. The first part of that to become public was the suspensions, then the reason for them came out.

spnited is right, though. I don't know how far the similarities between the situations go because the P-G and Trib stories on the Mt. Lebanon incident are so vague.

Draft saved Draft deleted