1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS hoopster suspended for email to coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 7, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07066/767421-361.stm

Thoughts on this one?

Does seem like a double standard if the one at the party wasn't suspended, but this kid crossed a line in a big way.
    And low class by the father to air the laundry in public.

2. Ollie Phillips said David has asked Shane to sit on the bench, in uniform, at the game on Saturday even though he won't be allowed to participate.

"That will not happen," the elder Phillips said. "He'll sit there in a coat and tie and be supportive, but he will not be paraded out there in a uniform if he's not going to play. Joey David will not embarrass my son."

Looks like you already have, daddy-o.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Might have been smart for the kid to refrain from the five expletives he used. I just know high school coaches love getting emails containing numerous expletives from their players.

And the dad's proud of the email? Hmmm....

4. While none of the parties in this instance seemed to have handled things in the best fashion, the dad does have a point.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'll cut the kid a little slack because he's a kid, but the better way of handling this would have been a face-to-face meeting with the coach. If he's a co-captain, then the coach should be willing to listen.

That said, you don't cuss out your coach and call out his character -- especially in an e-mail. He's fortunate that he's only serving a one-game suspension.

We also do not know if the kid that was cited for alcohol was disciplined in another way. Maybe he's on probation. Maybe he has to run conditioning drills at 6:30 every morning. And, we don't know if the suspended kid was on some sort of probation prior to the e-mail.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I have no problem with a kid/player wanting to win. He simply told the coach he didn't agree with the party and didn't like the way the team played in a loss.

Now, we don't see the rest of the e-mail, but from what I've read, it seems fine to me.

Should he have used profanity? Probably not.
    Has the coach ever used profanity at practice or halftime? Probably.

I was part of a team that went to a tourney in a city that had a lower drinking age than where we were from and all but about three of us went out and got bombed the night before the medal round. My captain, I and another player did not. Our team, which I feel could have won the event, won bronze. The three players that didn't go were pissed at the other nine.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry to tell you this fellas, but as a high school editor, I'm not sure I would even have run that story.

What we basically have here is a father's complaints because the coach and AD, as expected, won't comment and the old man won't let the son talk.
    We have unnanmed sources citing the police reports about an underage drinking party at which 10 kids were arrested. Prove to me there were basketball players at that party.
    Hell, prove to me the kid wrote the e-mail and not the old man.

The only thing we know for sure is the Phillips kid is suspended for one game and daddy is pissed.
    Big problems running this story.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

You raised some very good points there.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with spnited. I would not have run the story.

Beyond that, I think the kid was way over the line. And life is not fair. Just because someone else isn't punished for doing something wrong, doesn't mean you won't be punished.

Pops would be well served to teach his kid that.

And the kid -- if he was really trying to be a leader and not a whiner -- should have bitched at his teammates for letting the others down. Not the coach.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That's a good point. Perhaps he did? The story doesn't say.

And I wouldn't say he was "bitching" at his coach. Re-read the e-mail excerpts. He says he was simply pointing out the party: MAYBE [sic] of interest to you is that almost all of the varsity basketball team was there.

And I'm not sure he's calling out the coach here either: Everyone is asking what happened against Bethel? Well, you can bull---- an excuse until you are blue in the face, but the truth is we just played with no heart.

I'm not convinced the word "you" directly references the coach.

Whatever the case, from reading the story, I gather the kid has balls and an apparent passion for the team's success.

Again, and I hate to say this, I think we have people who have never played sports reading way too much into this and villifying for the kid for very little.

Also, people were crapping on the dad, but at the end he says this: I am with the coaches in regard to Shane. If they feel his e-mail crossed the line, they are well within their right to suspend him, and I can live with that.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon, Sue.

The kids is being a rat and a whiner and undercutting his coach.

And this is an example of what I mean when I say that as reporter's you cannot take at face value that someone is telling you the truth.

If the father could "lived with" his kid being suspended, this would not be a story.

The fact is his father cannot accept the fact that his kid got punished for doing something wrong and others apparently (as far as he knows) did not.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Oh, hey, don't get me wrong, I agree that it's not a story. I'd have blown the dad off if he'd have called me.

I'd simply have said "Was the party a team function? Was the coach there?"

The answers would have been "no," and end of story.

All I'm really saying is the kid isn't all that bad - if he in fact wrote the e-mail. And, like I said, who knows if he called out his teammates?

There are lots of holes, no doubt. I'm just saying what the kid did wasn't all that bad and probably didn't warrant a suspension. A talking to? A few extra sprints? Sure, if only because he used the profanity.

We also don't know if this is the first, second, fifth or 10th e-mail he's sent.

Draft saved Draft deleted