1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS Girls Hoops Gamer

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by deviljets7, Feb 15, 2008.

1. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I don't think I've posted in this forum since football season and it's always good to get some outside opinions.

BEES STING KNIGHTS
    End regular season tied with Marist

BAYONNE - As the seconds ticked off the clock, the fans at Bayonne High School made sure the message to Marist was loud and clear - the Royal Knights' previously perfect HCIAA Coviello record was flawless no more.

Amid chants of "14-1," Bayonne scored 12 of the game's final 15 points to defeat its in-city rivals, 50-42. With the victory, both teams finish the regular season in a tie for the Coviello crown.

"It's really important to me," Bayonne forward Lindia Fischer said. "This is what I wanted for this season, to beat Marist, and that's exactly what we did."

In the fourth quarter, the high-powered offense of Marist (20-3, 14-1) was neutralized by the 2-3 zone defense of the Bees (17-5, 14-1), who held the Royal Knights without a field goal over the final 4:18 of the contest.

Bayonne reeled off six straight points to put the game away. Fischer's offensive rebound off a missed free throw and put-back with just 25 seconds left gave the Bees a seven-point advantage and sealed the victory. Keeping Fischer off the glass was a problem all night for Marist, as the junior finished with 14 points and 15 rebounds, both game highs.

"Fischer killed us," Royal Knights coach Bill DeFazio said. "Fischer hurt us. I think Fischer was the x-factor for them today. Fischer played a great game today."

"She just doesn't accept no," said Bees coach James Turner. "The word 'can't' doesn't exist in her vocabulary. If she's playing against somebody 6-foot-8, it doesn't matter, she's going to get the rebound. Nothing seems to faze this girl."

Until those final four minutes, it was a back-and-forth contest between Coviello's top two teams. Neither team could gain the upper hand in an emotionally charged game that saw 14 lead changes.

Trailing by three early in the third, Bernie Benitez, Cristina Centeno and Lynea Blue drilled 3-pointers to jumpstart an 11-0 Royal Knights run. But the Bees quickly lifted themselves up off the canvas, embarking on a 13-3 run to take a two-point edge in the first minute of the fourth quarter.

Fischer hit a pair of free throws with 5:29 left to give Bayonne a 40-39 lead it would not relinquish.

"We got careless," DeFazio said. "Towards the end of the game we had opportunities up one or two. We have to learn from this."

Marist forward Ebony Thomas, who exploded for 18 points and 14 rebounds in a Jan. 10 victory against the Bees, was limited to just seven points, three rebounds and two blocks.

Centeno had 11 points and Blue tallied 10 for Marist in defeat.

Cassandra Callaway had 12 points and six rebounds for the Bees. Tiffany Clarke scored eight off the bench in the victory and senior Ashley Devaney had seven points and four steals.

Both teams enter the Coviello tournament with a split in the season series. When the finals take place on Feb. 23, there's a very good chance that it will be these two meeting once again for bragging rights, not just in the conference, but in the city.

"It's going to be a very intense game," Devaney said about the possibility of a third Bayonne/Marist showdown. "We're not going to have home court this time. Whoever wants it more will win."

2. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I'd edit out "lifting themselves up off the canvas" and "exploded" after a players' name. She's still intact, body parts and all, right?
    Other than that...it's fine.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Two quick thoughts:

Try to make the first numbers in your gamer the score. You have several before you get to the final.

You could probably tighten up the second part of your lede a bit by just saying " - the Royal Knights were perfect no more." The "previously perfect" and "flawless no more" parts are a bit redundant.

Draft saved Draft deleted