1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS girl dunks like a Lebron James

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

My point is that if you watch the interview she sounds like a boy when she talks. First time I heard her talk that really stood out. That's all.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

SockPuppet is right..she sounds like a boy, regardless of what it means and if it matters (which it doesn't).
    I know this: she makes dunking look freakin' easy whether it's a boy or girl doing it.
    Damn.

3. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

They were showing her dunks on ESPN this morning. Makes those Candace Parker dunks look like the layups they were.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It did, but the progress is still impressive. I covered a Division I program for my college paper back in the early '90s that didn't start a player over six feet tall. They had a girl who was 6-foot-3, but she was about as skilled as my 5-year-old. This team wasn't great, but they played in a major conference and had a winning record.

I'm not sure if a single player off that team could even make the school's current roster.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

trivia question: who was first girl to ever dunk in a regulation game? if my memory is right, it was Georgianna Wells of West Virginia. may be wrong, but that name rings the bell. and i have been covering women's hopes for longer than I can remember and that name seems to be the one.
    or was it cheryl miller? maybe miller came after wells.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Um, the woman who dunked first.

Wasn't Cheryl.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

West Virginia's Georgeann Wells, 1984, first woman to dunk in a college game.

The next woman to dunk in a college game did it in 1994.

8. sportschick

Snow from Tennessee?

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

She was in 2000 and, I think, the third (but she did it three times in college). I can't find who it was in 1994, though.

10. sportschick

That woulda been the year after Swoopes graduated, meaning I was drunk that year.

11. sportschick

Leslie graduated in '94, didn't she? Maybe her.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

North Carolina's Charlotte Smith; Leslie never dunked in college. Thank you, NY Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted