1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS football state final ends in tie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brookerton, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Georgia has five classifications and two of its state final games ended in ties on Saturday. One of the ties was in the largest classification (AAAAA), so a lot of fans are upset about it.

Just wondering if any other states allow their football state finals to end in ties.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not many, I don't think. Certainly not Florida.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not in my state. You'd think there'd be some sort of provision to have a straight-up winner, but then you'd think this would have come up by now.

4. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Doesn't Georgia have overtime in the regular season?

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Couple ways to break the tie:

(1) Bare knuckles brawl in the parking lot. Last guy standing wins a championship for the team.

(2) You Got Served.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

(3) Breakthrough and Conquer, a la American Gladiators.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

(4) XFL version of the coin flip.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

OK, the very thought of a dance-off at midfield makes me giggle.

9. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Here in Georgia, soccer finals can also end with co-champions.

And yes, there is overtime in the regular season, usually to decide standings in region play.
    Another time it is available is when teams from different classifications play each other and the coaches agree before the game to play overtime.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

11. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Yeah, my alma mater (Roswell) was one of the ones involved.
    My brother was there, and he told me that every one at the game except him expected there to be overtime played.
    When both teams started shaking hands, fans threw stuff onto the field and shouted obscenities. He told me that no one left happy.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Texas adopted the NCAA overtime in 1996. Before that, the procedure for determining which team advanced when playoff games ended in ties started with 20-yard line penetrations, then first downs, then total offensive yards and finally a coin flip (I know of no instances where it ever got that far).

Before 1996, 11 state championship games ended in ties. In 10 of those, the coaches agreed beforehand that the teams would be declared co-champions. The only state title ever decided by the tiebreaker was 1932. The last championship game to end in a tie was 1984.

Since 1996, four championship games have been decided in overtime.

Draft saved Draft deleted