1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS football page

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by ColbertNation, Aug 21, 2007.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I'm going to be designing our weekly high school football page (an inside page with no color), and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas (i.e. what works, what doesn't, etc ...). There will be a centerpiece story along with stats, a notebook and probably some file art from the previous week's games. I have lots of ideas, but I get the feeling they work a lot better in my head than they will on paper. I want to try to use a lot of graphics, but I'm really afraid of the page getting cluttered. The graphics are also another issue. Is there a Web site where I can find some good (preferably free) football graphics, or should I just plan on making my own?

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

If it's a high school intensive, you have to keep your own stats and build a graphic that you can just plug in the leaders and a mug every week. Also, run the standings of the high school districts/conferences every week on the same page. Never fails, but you have to be on top of the records and the stats or someone will come along and blast you.

3. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

I always liked power rankings. Then it's fun to listen to the coaches bitch about "My brother-in-law said you guys ranked us fourth. That's bullshit, but what do I care? I don't read your damn paper."

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do our Metro rankings each week (as opposed to the state sportswriters rankings) and I hear that kinda nonsense all the time. But it's usually followed by something like "Hey, I don't care. But the kids read that stuff and get fired up when you dont rank us."

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'm thinking you could have a rail dedicated to standings, top performers from the previous week, season stats (if you keep them) and whatever else you want. I'm thinking reverse text on a gray box, flush left with your header, and maybe with a vertical enough font you have room on the right side for some little graphic (if you can find them, which was kind of your main question, so I don't know how much this really helped anyway).

Draft saved Draft deleted