1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS Football Columnist quotes himself in story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by eclapt44, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

he quoted himself. that's enough.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In New Mexico if you "owe" a school you have to travel.

So if Goddard played at Onate in a 1992 semifinal but they haven't faced off in the playoffs since, Onate would have to come to Goddard the next time they meet -- regardless of records.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Giving out the partial score before the final score bothered me almost as much as him quoting himself.

4. Yeah, like he was saying, "We (almost) won the first half. Until you started cheating by playing better."

I also thought this was the effort of an inexperienced writer. If he's been doing it as long as it appears, I have no problem ridiculing him in public. The piece is cliche-ridden, biased, lacking in fact (how many personal fouls were there?), and unprofessional, and those are the good points.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You know, I don't even buy the idea of laying off a young writer if they do something this bad.

For one thing, if their skin is so thin that this would affect their career, they're in the wrong career.

For another, if they were to write something this bad, they SHOULD hear about it so they try to change.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Indiana is a total blind draw (all get in), but determines home games the same way: who has played the most road games gets to host. If there's a tie, the position in the bracket determines who hosts.

So, yes, an 0-9 team can host a 9-0 team.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I don't understand why any of us should care.

Insignificant columnist in an insignificant burb complains about "dirty!" high school football.

So What?

8. jr/shotglass

It's below Norrin's pay grade, gang. DTGDTN.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

cause we get short on entertainment around here?

10. jr/shotglass

I can have a pissing match with the troll; the rank and file seems to like that. 8)

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Indeed we do.

The rubes do get bored so easily, and are desperate for their amusements.

Case in point.

Draft saved Draft deleted