1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS Football Columnist quotes himself in story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by eclapt44, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Thing lists a Twitter handle at the end of that ... ehem ... column. Did he have to take it down? The one that has his name is from Louisiana.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yep.

3. exed44

exed44 New Member

He ran a correction the next day, saying the reporter misquoted him. ;D

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Everything else aside, he lost me by making a big deal about it being an unfair advantage to play at Dimsdale or whoever the home team was.

I would guess that in the vast majority of states, football playoff games before the finals are played at the site of one of the teams, not some neutral site.

So when you whine about that (more than once) you lose me and credibility.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When you reach state quarters, which this was, the site is neutral, but closer to the higher seed.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How anyone made it to the point where he quotes himself I'll never know. Unreadable. He lost me at ”ridiculously unfair home field advantage.”

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sort of can picture the guy stamping his foot in a tantrum, can't you?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until he calls in his own scores to himself.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I was going to post about how devastated I would be, when I was a young sports reporter paying my dues in preps, if one of my stories wound up on here to be destroyed. I was going to make a plea that we should cut the kid a break and refrain from bashing him so publicly. I was going to recall some of the times I took chances as a young writer that I look back on now with my face in my palm.

But then I looked this writer up on Twitter and discovered he appears to be a middle-aged man with a wife and kids.

Yeah, he probably should have known better. Resume.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a difference between being poorly written and attacking the character and integrity of a coach, team and town.

Maybe the guy was completely correct in what he saw but it seems that reading between the lines he might be a bit biased and should have eased off the throttle.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Well, golly-gee-whiz! If this guy is outraged about having to travel to a site 5 whole miles from their opponent's school, I hate to think how he'd feel about how they determine home field for the playoffs in Miss'ippi.

Down here, you can beat a team in a regular-season region game, finish ahead of that team in the region standings and still play a state semifinal game AT that team's home field.

Oh, and, yes, that was about the worst piece of homerish writing I've ever encountered.

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How is home field in the football playoffs determined in Mississippi? Here the quarterfinal and semifinal home games go to whoever has had the fewer home games in the playoffs, so the team with the worst record could be at home. If both teams have played the same number of home games, a coin flip determines the site.

In the first round, the first-place teams get the home games and the better second-place teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted